Re: [sixties-l] Beverly Axelrod dies (fwd)

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 17:32:39 EDT

    I knew Beverly Axelrod, have the highest admiration for her, and am
    grateful to Roz for adding considerably to my knowledge of her. I simply
    wish to correct the statement that she "was one of the first woman
    radical defense lawyers in the nation." Perhaps her most important
    precursor was surnamed King (I am writing from memory and have no source
    handy), of which, as about the others, you can learn from the Meiklejohn
    Library in Berkeley. Another, who I knew personally 65 years ago, was
    Yetta Land in Cleveland. When, at that time, the Young Communist League
    sent me a short distance south to Akron, then the world center of the
    tire industry, there was a young woman who had just entered law school
    and, remaining in that city, came to perform the same function over the
    years. In San Francisco there is one -- I am really having a memory
    problem at the moment -- whose career began probably in the '40s and
    who, earlier this year, was the principal speaker at the very
    well-attended memorial for Bob Treuhaft. There was at least one such
    lawyer, an anarchist I believe, during the World War I period. The total
    number was certainly more than a handful, despite the very small number
    of women in the profession altogether. Very possibly that was because it
    took a radically independent character for a woman to dare to become a
    lawyer before the '60s.
                                                                    Bill Mandel

    --

    ======================================================== My autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), was written for the general reader. However, if you teach in the social sciences consider it for student reading. It is a history of how the American people fought to defend and expand its rights in my lifetime, employing the form of the life story of one who was involved in most serious movements: labor, student, peace with the USSR, civil rights South and North, civil liberties (I seriously damaged the Senate Internal Security Committee, the McCarthy Committee, and the House Un-American Activities Committee with spectacular testimonies that may be heard/seen on my website, http://www.billmandel.net ), the RADIO OF DISSENT (37 YEARS ON PACIFICA), with very extensive information on its history) and the feminist movement, although I am male. The book contains some fifty pages on my late wife, Tanya, appearing appropriately throughout the book. They may be found in the index under Mandel, Tanya. My activities began in 1927. I am 84. The book is available through all normal sources. If you want an autographed copy, send me $23 at 4466 View Pl., Apt. 106, Oakland, CA. 94611 ========================================================