[sixties-l] Bananas - Electrical and Otherwise (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:43:43 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:39:52 -0400
    From: REDDAVENYC@aol.com
    To: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
    Subject: Bananas - Electrical and Otherwise

    The banana thing hit New York considerably earlier than 1967. I remember hearing it discussed fervently at various parties in the mid-Sixties, around '64. Among rumors that spread were: (a) it wasn't the fruit but the skin; (b) it wasn't the skin but the "threads" that adhere to fruit when you peel it; (c) various midwestern states were contemplating passing laws requiring bananas to be sold already peeled and wrapped in plastic! The whole thing turned out to be some kind of urban legend. I remember very clearly in 1964 in Washington Square Park a big folk singing group called "The Banana Trippers." Those were the days!