[sixties-l] Gitlin's "Torrent of Images & Sounds"

From: Sorrento95@AOL.COM
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 15:51:55 EST

    In a message dated Tue, 19 Mar 2002 6:36:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu writes:

    << Todd Gitlin is the author of, most recently, "Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images and Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives.">>

     I haven't seen this book by Gitlin, but the title
     suggests that it might be tangential to my concerns
     about noise pollution and a syndrome I propose to
     call Audio Stimulus Dependency Disorder (ASDD).

     It could also be called noise addiction, but some
     might quibble with that label, since no substance
     is involved.

     There are many people in our society, particularly
     those born since 1960, who had such an enormous
     dose of stimulus from TVs, stereos, and radios
     during their childhood and adolescence that they
     normalized the experience of continuing presence
     of media devices and now manifest discomfort in
     their absence.

     My defense of the proposal that mental health
     professionals recognize ASDD is here:

     http://members.aol.com/mpwright9/noise.html

     -- Michael Wright
        Norman, Oklahoma