Re: [sixties-l] Lying by Deconcontextualizing-- LBJ's Tape on C-SPAN

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 22:25:12 EST

    William Mandel wrote:

    > I simply don't understand a discussion based on a simple difference
    > between languages. "Running dogs" is Chinese. It is not Russian, Soviet
    > or otherwise.
    > William Mandel

    Yes, it's Chinese. But "running dogs" just translates the words. It's
    not a big deal, but I've been curious about what the image of running
    dogs meant to the Chinese -- what feature of their culture generated the
    phrase. Lackeys is clear enough; translating the word translates the
    idea also. Not so with running dogs.

    Carrol