Re: [sixties-l] I was a terrorist (fwd)

From: Jama Lazerow (jlazerow@wheelock.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 09:03:41 EST

    I had a very different reaction to Lerner's essay. There are people on
    the left who support some kind of military response to the September 11
    attacks, as there were, for example, anti-imperialists who supported the
    US response to the Axis in 1941. That line seems the least exceptional
    in the piece. On the other hand, as a historian, I don't find his story
    particularly interesting, or revealing, at all. I'm surprised that Mr.
    Jacobs, who has tried to recover some of the Weatherman history --
    unlike the history profession generally -- would have found Lerner's
    confession as particularly insightful about the emergence of this
    tendency from RYM, in turn from trends in the national office of SDS, in
    turn from the 1967-69 shift from resistance to revolution, etc.

    Jama Lazerow
    Wheelock College