[sixties-l] Eyewitness account of first day of hearing in H. Rap Brown (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 01:48:13 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:38:58 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Eyewitness account of first day of hearing in H. Rap Brown

    Eyewitness account of first day of hearing in H. Rap Brown(Imam
    Jamil) case

    THE PROSECUTION HAS NO CASE AGAINST IMAM JAMIL AL-AMIN but JUDGE
    SUPPORTS
    PROSECUTION
    From: motisola_3@hotmail.com (Motisola Abdallah)

           Tuesday February 19, 2002 the front page of the AJC (Atlanta
    Journal &
    Constitution) carries a full page picture of Imam Jamil Al-Amin with
    his son.
    The caption reads that they are giving each other the "hi five" palm
    slap.
    Muslims who were with the Imam when he was having a moment with his
    son give
    an account that his son told his dad that he had grown a few inches.
    Imam
    Jamil raised up his hand and told his son to match his hand so that he
    could
    see how much he had grown. A very tender and loving moment between
    father and
    son. An AJC reporter snapped the picture who was right there with the
    two and
    knew exactly what was going on, put that caption under that picture of
    them
    giving each other the "hi five sign" which was totally untrue.
    HEAVY POLICE PRESENCE and INTIMIDATION
    When we got downtown to the courthouse, the street on both sides were
    lined
    with riot police fences on both sides of the street surrounding the
    courthouse with two man teams of police on motorcycles at each
    entrance. Once
    inside we go through the usual metal detector gate and one would think
    that
    is the end of that. But, when we go upstairs to the actual room where
    the
    trial is being held, they have set up another security check point
    with the
    same conveyor belt and metal detector. This is unusual and just one in
    many
    intimidations methods going on to discourage supporters.
       We are made to wait in long lines with no explanations as to why we
    are
    waiting. Some of us had to wait for two hours. When we did get an
    answer from
    the deputies, we were told there were no more seats and the courtroom
    was
    full. Upon insisting that we be let in and that we have been waiting
    for
    hours, they let some of us in five and ten at a time with another 45
    minutes
    to an hour before they let the next group of five in. Again we go
    through the
    metal detector. Once we clear that secutiry check point, we are
    checked again
    outside the court room with a metal wand device from head to toe.
          This again is another ploy to make supporters discouraged and not
    come
    back. A male sherriff ranned the metal detector from my head to my toe
    and
    had me turn around and ran the metal detector device up and down my
    body
    again, particularly paying close attention to my Hijab, as if I might
    have
    hidden something in my scarf. I moved my arm slightly because I
    thought he
    was finished and he told me I had to be searched again with this
    device. So
    I'm searched again. Once I got in the courtroom I noticed there were
    plenty
    of seats in the courtroom. We were lied to that there was no room.
    Still many
    supporters were not allowed in and they eventually went home.
    NO MUSLIMS ON THE JURY
            The jury is made up of 9 African Americas, two whites and one
    Hispanic.
    As the jury is seated, I immediately notice one man with a big chain
    around
    his neck with a cross hanging from it.

    Judge Stephanis Manis briefs the jury and proceeds to read them the 13
    count
    indictment against Imam Jamil. Manis tries to set the mind set of the
    jury by
    telling them that the defendant enters into this trial innocent and
    until
    proven guilty is to be presumed as innocent. She predicts the trial
    will go 3
    - 5 weeks from 9 am - 6 pm Monday through Friday.

          The prosecution opens with a fairly young African American female
    attorney who approaches the jury with "please don't shoot me anymore,
    please
    don't shoot me anymore". These are the words coming from the officer
    who was
    shot she says and they will prove to the jury that that man, as she
    points to
    Imam Jamil, is guilty.
    BOGUS ARGUMENTS FROM PROSECUTION
         You could tell they were trying to build a case they did not have.
    The
    prosecution admitted that the law enforcement officials made mistakes
    and
    that there was a lot of confusion that night. She went into how the
    defense
    will probalby bring up minor things like blood and mistaken id because
    it was
    very confusing period that night. The prosecution's opening remarks
    were
    full of contradictions, holes and half truths. The Judge had to ask
    for
    order in the court several times even sending the jurors out while she
    admonished the courtroom (us) about making remarks. We were all so
    astonished
    as to how they have no case until many of us could not contain
    ourselves.
    Miss Kelly Stevens, goes on to say that the evidence will speak for
    itself
    and that Imam Jamil Abdully Al-Amin is guilty.

         Every objection that the defense brings up the judge denies it.
    Next the
    defense openings and within five minutes busted up the prosecution's
    opening
    remarks and exposes the contradictions, half-truths and lack of any
    evidence.
    As Lawyer Martin proceeds, the prosecution makes a couple of
    objections and
    Judge Stephanis Manis sides again with the prosecution. Martin's
    arguments
    were how they closed the case on March28th ignoring key evidence that
    would
    of freed Imam Jamil immediately. Martin states that "they got their
    man and
    would not look into any other evidence. He hammers at how the deputy
    is on
    tape as to giving the wrong description of the shooter, something the
    prosecution Miss Stevens did not speak about in her openings. Mr.
    Martin,
    (the Imam's attorney) showed exhibits that busted holes in the
    sherriffs
    accounts as to what happened that night. Martin says that key
    witnesses were
    not interviewed that night that saw a short stocky man with an assault
    weapon
    that night, nor did the prosecution or the FBI look into the matter of
    people
    seeing a man running away from the scene bleeding that night. The
    prosecution
    says that there was no blood trail and that it might have been a dog
    that was
    bleeding. Another key point is that the deputy, Kinchen, swore the he
    shot
    his defendant, twice in the chest and once in the head as he was
    fleeing
    after being shot by the defendant. No spent casings or shells were
    found
    where the deputy says he fired his weapon.

         I have pages of notes, but it is clear that the Imam has been set
    up. Each
    and every time the defense tries to bring in the FBI involvement and
    suspection, Judge Manis shoots it down. Several times the jury was
    asked to
    leave the room, because the supporters are just shocked at what they
    are
    witnesses. Imam Jamil was kicked, called a dirty name and spit on by
    an FBI
    agent the night he was captured and Martin wants to know how far was
    this
    investigated and how was this FBI agent punished and does he still
    work for
    the FBI and the Judge just about shut the door on these inquiries.

        Also, while the deputy was on the witness stand a show was staged by
    the
    prosecution and the deputy where he, the deputy would break down
    several
    times after being asked key questioned. Martin objected to this but
    also
    acknowledging that it may be painful for the the deputy to recall
    these
    events, but he felt that it was planned event. Martine moved for a
    mistrial
    in lieu of this; of course the judge denied it.
    Judge Stephanis Manis reminds me of President Bush. At one point she
    points
    out she waived the "all rise" when she enters the courtroom because
    she knows
    that Muslims don't stand or reverence anyone, so the courtroom does
    not have
    to rise when she enters. President Bush is sending food to Afghanis
    and
    having dinner with Muslims at the white house to try and show his
    solidarity
    with Muslims. JudgeManis clearly knows that the Imam was set up, there
    is no
    evidence, he should have been freed long ago and she is boldly siding
    with
    the prosecution on every issue. President Bush is guilty of bombing
    thousands
    of Muslims while simultaneously eating with other Muslims here inthe
    U.SThey
    both are two-faced and cannot be trusted.

          Bottom line is that the prosecution has no case and there only
    focus is
    do what they are told to do and that is to get Imam Jamil!
    SUPPORT FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY
          There are a few people from different parts of the country. New
    Black
    panther Party was there, Nation of Islam members, Elain Brown, white
    and
    Black non-Muslim supports from out of town, and a small dismal showing
    of
    Muslims who were basically from the West End. We could do better. But
    the
    game is on to discourage us and make us wait.
    -----
    For the most extensive reporting on Imam Jamil's case, from day one,
    go to:
    www.NewTrendMag.org click on java frames click on NEWS go to
    Imam Jamil