Re: [sixties-l] Re: heil freedom

From: nefertiti (nefertiti@s.netic.de)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 08:29:49 EST

    Hi Paula,

    thanks for your reply. I already thought that my claim of a facist takeover goes a bit too far. There should have been a question mark behind it. But i guess you figured out, what was meant. I agree with you, that this is much scarier than the cuba crisis, because during the cuba crisis, there was at least one part (UdSSR) acting reasonably and responsible. Today everything seems to be totally out of control. But a little light is visible, cause the resistance against this stupid talking and policy grows in europe. Even our idiot secretary of state Fischer starts to be contrary to this policy, after he couldn't wait to get part of the unholy alliance against terrorism in September.
    As a german i may be a bit too thin skinned, but I take Bushs choice of words very serious, cause i guess his reasoning is like his talking. We all know that the rise of the Nazis starts with words; words spoken in a specific political and economic situation. So it is always dangerous to allow anybody to publicly de-humanize humans for his political aims. The missing protest against a western politician using Hitlers phraseology is therefor very frightening. I am in contact with american citizens on other lists too and it has been alarming, how they are defending this policy. I guess for reasonable thinking americans it isn't easy at the moment to live in the US. I don't know if the sixties list is the right place to start such a discussion, but i would like the opinions of list members.

    Best
    Jochen Rohwer, Germany