[sixties-l] [change-links] Huey P

From: John Johnson (change@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 04:22:01 EST

    For those that didn't catch the Spike Lee production of the play "A Huey P
    Newton Story' on PBS tonight, it certainly was well worth the viewing.
    Appropriately entitled "A ....Story" meaning is just one playwrights and
    actors take on Huey, it was reasonable accurate to the history and emotions
    of the Sixties/Panthers/ and without personally knowing him probably on
    Huey too.

    The struggles of a man for honesty and love in a corrupt society when he
    sees his family's constantly oppressed and beaten down, something most us
    white folks didn't have to witness so up close.

    Some Panthers made it out of the Sixties a bit better then Huey, most had
    their problems. They took on a role of Vanguard in a war that never broke
    though to any possible conclusion.

    A war that is hard to look back on, even for those that were there. Yet a
    war that seems to loam in our future as we fumble for ways to try and deal
    with it.

    In the end he says "don't bring me flowers after I die, bring me soup
    while Im alive".

    John Johnson
    Change-Links Progressive Newspaper
    change@pacbell.net or change-links@change-links.org