Re: [sixties-l] response to wilkerson review (fwd)

From: John Johnson (change@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 04:05:47 EST

    >Both John and Cathy make good points.

    I would take Cathy to task for her excuses for the women of the movement.
    Being there and being one of the nitty gritty guys that made up the bulk of
    the movement I would say that the women made the choices free and clear.
    They choose the more good looking, flamboyant, and yes even violent guys
    over the rest of us. No one forced them and they often were very proud of
    their choices.
    The same is true today.

    The building of an underground during the Sixties was a good idea. In fact
    there were many small versions of it. Some aided draft resisters, some
    aided black radicals and others. A few just wanted to try and establish an
    infrastructure.

    But as to armed struggle. Yes many of us thought of it, thought that it
    might be a possibility. But even with a ounce of common sense that wasn't
    going to be groups of upper middle class youth of any sort. Armed struggle
    is a product of mass struggle. And the only place that was even close was
    in the
    Black communities.
    And the State started to get real nervous when Black GI's started to come
    back from Vietnam and were pissed. Thats why Geronimo Pratt was framed.

    The state had tanks, B52's and millions of soldiers. A few pop guns
    wouldn't last long.

    John Johnson
    Change-Links Progressive Newspaper
    change@pacbell.net or change-links@change-links.org