[sixties-l] Re: SLA fugitives and immigrant detainees

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 04:08:52 EST

    You know, the good pastor, Niemoller (spelling?), rather said it under the
    Nazis, didn't he? "When they came for the Jews, I did nothing, because I was
    not a Jew; and when they came for the trade unionists, [etc.].... And when
    they came for me, there was no one left to speak up for me." (I realize this
    last is a paraphrase more than a quote.) I think we needn't necessarily
    support the methods or analyses of the SLA, or have supported them at the
    time, to be pretty horrified by what is being done to SLA people now. And no
    most of us on this list are not, I gather, immigrants to this country, but
    hey what about those 1100 (or is by now a mere 600?) detained somewhere
    somehow? It was terrifying and horrifying to realize what we were doing to
    Vietnam, then--and now it is terrifying and horrifying to see what "America's
    war on terrorism" is starting to come to.
     Paula