[sixties-l] Gag order against former Black Panther leader on trial for murder (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 18:30:48 EST

  • Next message: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu: "[sixties-l] 1960s radical goes on trial for murde (fwd)"

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:10:55 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Gag order against former Black Panther leader on trial for murder

    Gag order against former Black Panther leader on trial for murder


    By Peter Daniels
    11 January 2002

    A judge ruled January 7 that Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin, the former Student
    Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and Black Panther leader who is standing
    trial in Atlanta, Georgia on murder charges, violated a gag order and will
    no longer be allowed to make phone calls, send mail or have any visitors
    other than his attorneys.
    Al-Amin, now 58 years old, changed his name from H. Rap Brown when he
    converted to Islam in the 1970s. He was one of the founders of the Student
    Non-Violent Coordinating Committee in the 1960s and later became a leader
    of the Black Panther Party. Converting to Islam while in prison 30 years
    ago, he has lived in Atlanta for the past 25 years. In March 2000, he was
    arrested after a five-day manhunt, and charged with killing a sheriff's
    deputy who had come to serve an arrest warrant on him at the grocery store
    he ran on the west side of the city. He has spent most of the last two
    years in jail awaiting trial.
    The ruling, by Fulton County Judge Stephanie Manis, came just as jury
    selection began in the case. It was a response to a telephone interview
    given by Al-Amin to the New York Times that was published Sunday, January
    6. Several weeks earlier Al-Amin had also sent a letter (parts of which
    were published in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution) to the mosque of which
    he is spiritual leader, reiterating his claim that he did not kill Ricky
    Kinchen or wound his partner, Aldranon English, on March 16, 2000.
    Al-Amin called the prosecution case against him a frame-up that is part of
    a government-inspired persecution stretching back decades. "The FBI has a
    file on me containing 44,000 documents, but prior to this incident, their
    investigation has produced no fruits, no indictments, no arrests," he said
    in the phone interview. "At some point, they had to make something happen
    to justify all the investigations and all the money they've spent."
    He also charged that the gag order was an unprecedented attempt to deny his
    constitutional rights. "I can't even say I'm innocent," he said. "Do you
    know of any other defendant who is not allowed to say he is innocent? It's
    just part of the same continual persecution and prosecution against me,
    just part and parcel of the same thing."
    The Superior Court judge declared that Al-Amin's comments "may taint the
    jury pool." "He can profess his innocence, but in the courtroom, not in the
    newspaper," the judge said.
    The charge of jury tampering or "tainting" to silence the defendant in this
    case is ironic, in light of the fact that it is Al-Amin who faces a
    possible death sentence at a time when racial and religious profiling of
    Muslims has been justified in official circles in the wake of the September
    11 attacks. Although his arrest came before September 11, there is every
    reason to suspect that the prosecution will now attempt to utilize the fear
    and hysteria being whipped up against Muslims to strengthen its case
    against Al-Amin.
    The defense plans to dispute all the main claims of the prosecution's case,
    above all the identification of Al-Amin by the surviving sheriff's
    deputy. Both deputies had said they had shot their attacker, but Al-Amin
    was found uninjured. The assailant was said to have gray eyes, but
    Al-Amin's are brown. The surviving deputy said the attacker was on the
    sidewalk, but the bullet holes indicate that the shots came from the middle
    of the street.
    Jury selection in the case began on January 8, with about 1,500 prospective
    jurors summoned to the Fulton County Courthouse.

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sat Jan 12 2002 - 18:52:57 EST