Re: [sixties-l] War Within War (fwd)

From: Frank Smith (fsmith@kanokla.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 23:58:45 EST

    From: "Carrol Cox"
    Subject: Re: [sixties-l] War Within War (fwd)

    > > http://guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4256062,00.html
    > > The Guardian (UK) September 15, 2001
    > > Although President Truman put pressure on the US
    > > armed forces to integrate in 1948, some units in the Korean
    > > war were still divided by race.

    Cox writes: > Just a little blurring of the original facts here, and a
    little twisting
    > of them there, and we end up with an essentially white-supremacist and
    > white-centered history of the U.S. Probably someone else on this list
    > can give the exact details (with sources) better than I can, but roughly
    > the fact is that only under a threat by Philip Randall to close down the
    > railroads did Truman very reluctantly integrate the armed forces. As I
    > remember the story, in reply to Truman's "I wish you hadn't said that,"
    > Randall replied, "I wish I hadn't had to say that."

    Could you be referring to A. Phillip Randolph, the President of the Railroad
    Porters' Union?

    > This is analogous to the blurring of history which the phrase "McCarthy
    > Era" represents. That phrase hides the fact that it was Truman not
    > McCarthy who inaugurated the Red Hunt.

    Right. Scumbags like the Trickster had nothing to do with it. A bit of
    actual history instead of spin fantasy: The "R"s were in control of
    Congress after the war. In fact Truman vetoed the right wing's Taft-Hartley
    Bill, and the weasels overturned the veto. After graduating from a
    whites-only, southern law school our racist, felonious president-to-be beat
    5 term progressive congressman Jerry Voorhis with his "red scare." Dick was
    appointed to HUAC in '47, tormented Alger Hiss with falsified testimony and
    a bogus typewriter, and pressured a grand jury to indict Hiss for perjury.
    In '50, he red baited Helen Gahagan Douglas, and won the U.S. Senate seat.
    There were Democrats who supported that vileness: Strom Thurmond, for
    instance, who ran as the segregationist candidate for president in '48.
    Like much of his ilk, he eventually gravitated to the "R"s which welcomed
    him with open arms and pocketbooks.

    > And piled up such little distortions hide the fact that the great
    > bulwark of reaction in the U.S. is the Democratic Party.

    Of course. And of course, you seem to have a great deal of expertise in
    piling "...up such little distortions."

    E-1