Re: [sixties-l] War Within War (fwd)

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 17:24:16 EST

    sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu wrote:

> [...]

    Just a little blurring of the original facts here, and a little twisting
    of them there, and we end up with an essentially white-supremacist and
    white-centered history of the U.S. Probably someone else on this list
    can give the exact details (with sources) better than I can, but roughly
    the fact is that only under a threat by Philip Randall to close down the
    railroads did Truman very reluctantly integrate the armed forces. As I
    remember the story, in reply to Truman's "I wish you hadn't said that,"
    Randall replied, "I wish I hadn't had to say that."

    This is analogous to the blurring of history which the phrase "McCarthy
    Era" represents. That phrase hides the fact that it was Truman not
    McCarthy who inaugurated the Red Hunt.

    And piled up such little distortions hide the fact that the great
    bulwark of reaction in the U.S. is the Democratic Party.

    Carrol