[sixties-l] Vietnam book Inquiry

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 11:48:39 EST

    Hi all,

    Looking for a fresh idea here. I'm teaching a new course in spring
    semester, called "The Vietnam War in Politics, Memory, and Media,"
    looking at the political context of the war & antiwar struggle, the
    diverse experiences of the war and the way these are remembered in
    personal memory, and the media's coverage and subsequently revisionism
    about the war.

    Among sources I'm using are Herr's Dispatches, a required novel or
    biographical reading of someone 'in Country' (students can choose from
    5-6), Daniel Hallin's book on Uncensored War. I was going to use Tom
    Well's antiwar movement history, but it's not in print.

    So I'm now looking at/for a reader that combines various perspectives /
    experiences/ memories/ history/ documents (if this is possible in one
    book). One possibility I was considering was using both Gettelman et
    al's documentary, "Vietnam & America" and the collection called
    "Unwinding the Vietnam War: From War into Peace." Unfortunately the
    latter is also out of print, now. I could still use the Gettelman reader
    for the historical & political context stuff, and then something else
    for the experience/memory/reflection, stuff (one thing I liked about
    "Unwinding" is that it contains several poems and other remembrances, as
    well as pieces like Chomsky's "Visions of Righteousness."

    So, I'm eager for suggestions at this point! Some time pressure, too,
    as I'd need to get the bookstore on this right away.

    Many thanks,