[sixties-l] Treason chic started in the 60s (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 18:22:07 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:02:32 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Treason chic started in the 60s

    Treason chic started in the '60s

    <http://www.townhall.com/columnists/donfeder/df20011210.shtml>

    by Don Feder
    December 10, 2001

    When I look at the face of John Philip Walker, the 20-year-old American
    captured in Afghanistan, I see
    newspaper photos of the innocents killed by his comrades on Sept. 11. By
    defending mass murderers, he shares in their guilt, and should share in
    their fate.
    Walker is another bored child of privilege who chose the path of
    revolution. His family offers the predictable excuses. Marilyn Walker says
    her darling must have been brainwashed, on the theory that middle-class
    kids are incapable of consciously choosing evil.
    Walker's father told talk-show host Larry King he wanted to give his son "a
    big hug and a kick in the butt, too." Climb up on my knee, sonny boy. With
    your AK-47, sonny boy.
    But what can you expect from the insanely indulgent parents who would allow
    a 16-year-old to convert to Islam and then traipse off to Yemen a year later.
    Walker (aka, Abdul Hamid) was taken with a group of Taliban militia who'd
    staged a revolt in the Mazar-e-Sharif prison, where CIA agent John Michael
    Spann was killed.
    Abu Gucci says that while studying in Pakistan, his "heart became attached"
    to the Taliban's gentle teachings. Subsequently, the bearded Benedict
    Arnold traveled to Afghanistan, trained in one of Osama bin Laden's camps
    and, according to his own account, fought with the terrorists in Kunduz,
    Kabul and Kandahar.
    Walker is old enough to understand the nature of treason.
    Many of the Marines serving in Afghanistan aren't much older.
    Treason has always been counted among the most loathsome of crimes. Sir
    Walter Scott said a traitor's destiny was to "go down to the vile dust,
    from whence he sprung, unwept, unhonored, and unsung."
    Like our families, our nation gives us an identity and nurtures us. In the
    case of America, it also offers unparalleled personal freedom and
    prosperity. To turn against such a nation is an act of ingratitude that
    must make the angels sigh.
    But since the ^A'60s, treason has been sheik, especially among the elite
    (who are traitors in their hearts). At worst, turncoats are treated
    leniently. At best, they become cultural icons or tenured professors.
    Sara Jane Olson, the former Symbionese Liberation Army gun moll, will be
    sentenced on Jan. 18. Olson pleaded guilty to plotting to place pipe bombs
    under police cars in 1974. (A judge refused to let her withdraw the plea.)
    Olson's lawyer admitted her client acted incautiously but noted it was a
    time when many young people questioned authority, as if pipe bombs were the
    same as protest signs.
    Lori Berenson's supporters are still trying to get her sprung from a
    Peruvian poky. The American was convicted of operating a safe house for
    Tupac Amaru terrorists and sentenced to 20 years.
    Berenson claims she has no idea how several truckloads of arms and
    explosives ended up in her home. While avowing her innocence, she insists
    the Tupac Amaru are revolutionaries, not terrorists, and refuses to
    criticize the Latin equivalent of Hamas.
    In 1980, Bernardine Dohrn, late of the Weather Underground, was allowed to
    plead guilty to bail-jumping and aggravated assault in relation to her
    youthful indiscretions, and fined $1,500. (Later, she was jailed for seven
    months for refusing to testify about a bank job in which two cops were
    killed.) Now, Dohrn is on the faculty of Northwestern University's law school.
    These graying guerrillas may not fit the constitutional definition of
    treason, but like Jane Fonda (who made propaganda broadcasts for Hanoi
    during the Vietnam War) they were part of a Fifth Column allied with our
    enemies. None has expressed an ounce of remorse.
    In the Vietnam Era, we embraced the notion that idealism excuses treason,
    that commitment to a cause (especially the downtrodden) makes conspiring to
    kill cops, abetting Marxist thugs or posing with an enemy anti-aircraft
    battery acceptable behavior. After Sept. 11, we are seeing things more
    clearly.
    When asked about Walker at a Senate hearing, Attorney General John Ashcroft
    observed, "History has not looked kindly upon those who ... go and fight
    against their countries." When coupled with Defense Secretary Donald
    Rumsfeld's comments that Walker "was fighting on the Al Qaeda side," it
    doesn't take a crystal ball to see Dad delivering his hugs during visiting
    hours at Leavenworth.