[sixties-l] Re: Don't touch MY sixties...<ggg>

From: John Johnson (change@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 20:33:00 EST

    At 03:44 PM 12/6/2001, you wrote:
    http://www.monthlyreview.org/1201dohrn.htm

    Sixties Lessons and Lore
    by Bernardine Dohrn

    a review of
    Maurice Isserman and Michael Kazin, America Divided: The Civil War of the
    1960s (Oxford University Press, 2000), 368 pages, $25.95 paper.

    A pretty good review by Benardine with some of her own prejudices.

    Benardine was part of a faction that went on to dedicated themselves to
    "Third World Struggles" which really wasn't good for local organizing.

    And she leaves out a big part of what made the Sixties the Sixties. That
    is the cultural and personal aspects. The idea that we were working and
    struggling for each other. That we could create a loving community. That
    the working classes and poor could find hope, an overall hope, in the
    agendas we proposed.

    We couldn't ask people to just selflessly dedicated themselves to militant
    struggles. That never occurs. Only when people find a united struggle
    imperative that you find such dedications. Like the struggles for national
    independence in Vietnam, Central America.

    The struggle here had to build on both a political/economic agenda and a
    personal/community one. People have to see their personal stakes and how
    their own lives will be better.
    Without a foreign enemy, a crushing economic or a fascist government the
    "the masses" aren't going to erupt in militant struggle.

    For instance the issues of racism and sexism have been extremely
    institutionalized and used by institutions to divide and conquer. But they
    are also personal issues, which are best addressed on a personal and
    community level, where people can see them and how they effect their own lives.

    If the Women's Movement instead of making the headlong rhetorical attacks
    on "males'" in the Seventies would have tried to talk to and engage men and
    build a movement bases on mutual respect and understanding, and on
    love, that might have had a much greater, real progressive impact.

    At 03:44 PM 12/6/2001, you wrote:
    >http://www.monthlyreview.org/1201dohrn.htm
    >
    >Sixties Lessons and Lore
    >by Bernardine Dohrn
    >

    >a review of
    >Maurice Isserman and Michael Kazin, America Divided: The Civil War of the
    >1960s (Oxford University Press, 2000), 368 pages, $25.95 paper.

    John Johnson
    Change-Links Progressive Newspaper
    change@pacbell.net or change-links@change-links.org
    http://www.change-links.org