[sixties-l] Re: charming relics and Newton residents. . .

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 03:36:13 EST

    I am bothered by "generation X"'er B. Duran's calling Howard Zinn a "charming
    relic" of the '60s, almost as much as by the comments in the news article (in
    the original post on this thread) on these ideas like Zinn's
    still-stuck-in-the'60s (to paraphrase). Look, we really had minds back then,
    y'know? we didn't come to our ideas without going through the same sorts of
    basic questioning (re whether change is possible, re any number of ethics
    and/or more basic philosophical points, etc.); we were not stereotypes
    ((which, agreed, the full-caps f and a words certainly do bring to mind).
    But, aside from this issue of America's underlying
    progress-over-history/memory form of agism, there is the non-temporal nature
    of many ethical concepts, e.g., re not killing.
      Paula