[sixties-l] Beatle George Harrison dies (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 19:37:22 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:55:46 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Beatle George Harrison dies

    Beatle George Harrison dies

    November 30, 2001 Posted: 5:21 AM EST (1021 GMT)

    LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- George Harrison, the lead guitarist in
    possibly the most influential pop group of all time, The Beatles, has
    died aged 58, his spokesman confirmed to CNN.

    Harrison died in Los Angeles at 1:30 p.m. (2130 GMT) on Thursday after a
    battle with cancer, spokesman Geoff Baker said, but further details were
    not available.

    "He died with one thought in mind -- love one another," friend Gavin De
    Becker told The Associated Press, adding that Harrison's wife, Olivia
    Harrison, and son Dhani, 24, were with him when he died.

    His former band-mate Sir Paul McCartney told the Press Association: "I
    am devastated and very very sad. We knew he'd been ill for a long time.

    "He was a lovely guy and a very brave man and had a wonderful sense of
    humour. He is really just my baby brother."

    Harrison was known as the quiet one of the Fab Four, which conquered the
    world with 27 number one hits in the United States and Britain.. His
    credits with The Beatles include the songs, "Taxman," "Here Comes The
    Sun" and "Something," the latter described by Frank Sinatra as the
    greatest love song of all time.

    The youngest member of the world's most famous pop group will always be
    remembered for his devotion to Oriental mysticism. It was he who
    persuaded the other Beatles to fly to India and sit at the feet of the
    Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

    After The Beatles broke up in 1970 Harrison produced a few solo albums,
    and was the first of the four to top the UK singles charts as a solo
    artist with "My Sweet Lord." Later he helped form the group The
    Travelling Wilburys.

    With Harrison's death, there now remain two surviving Beatles, Paul
    McCartney and Ringo Starr. John Lennon was shot to death by a deranged
    fan in 1980.

    In 1998, when former smoker Harrison disclosed that he had been treated
    for throat cancer, he said: "It reminds you that anything can happen."

    The following year, he survived an attack by an intruder at his mansion
    in Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire.

    He was stabbed several times and suffered a punctured lung. In July
    2001, he released a statement asking fans not to worry about reports
    that he was still battling cancer.

    In July 2001, he released a statement asking fans not to worry about
    reports that he was still battling cancer.

    Harrison's family issued a statement saying: "He left this world as he
    lived in it, conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace,
    surrounded by family and friends. He often said, 'Everything else can
    wait but the search for God cannot wait, and love one another."'

    It wasn't immediately known if there would be a public funeral for
    Harrison. A private ceremony had already taken place, De Becker said.

    Lennon's widow Yoko Ono paid tribute to Harrison, who she said brought
    magic to the lives of those who knew him.

    "George has given so much to us in his lifetime and continues to do so
    even after his passing, with his music, his wit and his wisdom," she
    told The Press Association.

    "His life was magical and we all felt we had shared a little bit of it
    by knowing him.

    "Thank-you George, it was grand knowing you."