Re: [sixties-l] College campuses are a hotbed of ... pro-war fervor? (fwd)

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 14:16:34 EST

    sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu wrote:

    > -
    > By Kris Axtman
    > Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
    > November 27, 2001
    >
    > AUSTIN -
    > At t! he other, UT antiwar protesters shouted, "Stop the bombing now. Give
    > peace a chance"

    "Give Peace a Chance" was a misleading, I would say totally wrong,
    slogan in the '60s and it is no better now. It assumes that the bombers
    and the peace advocates have similar ends. But how would "peace" in 1965
    have secured the continued subordination of the government of the
    Dominican Republic to the interests of U.S. capital? What would it mean
    to "give peace a chance" in the context of the U.S. invasion then of the
    DR?

    Carrol