[sixties-l] Yarrow Unhappy With U.S. War Effort (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 18:08:40 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:11:24 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Yarrow Unhappy With U.S. War Effort

    Yarrow Unhappy With U.S. War Effort

    <http://news.excite.com/news/ap/011110/19/ent-peter-yarrow>

    Sat, Nov 10, 2001

    WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) - A folk singer whose group made a name promoting the
    peace movement during the Vietnam War says President Bush went too far in
    declaring the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks an act of war.
    Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary said Thursday the U.S. government has
    fostered too much fear at home.
    "If it's called a war, it allows the invoking of special governmental
    choices that would have been appropriate during World War II," Yarrow said.
    "I haven't been able to understand why the government has been trying to do
    everything it can to make people as frightened as possible."
    Peter, Paul and Mary performed at a sold-out concert at the Grand Theater
    on Thursday, including their classic hit, "Puff, the Magic Dragon," written
    by Yarrow.
    Before the show, Yarrow said the United States could learn from Israel how
    to react to terrorist attacks:
    gather information and make a measured, targeted strike. By pressing too
    hard, the military effort could backfire and create the impression that the
    United States is trying to wipe out those of the Islamic faith, the singer
    said.
    "These people are not pathological, but their misery can be mobilized into
    hatred for the United States," Yarrow said. "I'm not saying we should go
    hug a terrorist."