[sixties-l] Re: regression

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 04:19:39 EST

    I am glad Jerry West has brought up the attacks on civil liberties since
    Sept. 11. During a women's activists panel at the "Whole World Is Watching"
    photo show in Berkeley last weekend, Susan Griffin brought up the fact of
    current (news) censorship. (And see my post yesterday re the Law and Order
    episode equating eco-activism with terrorism and making innuendoes of danger
    is organizers on the net.) The university attacks/petition posted to this
    list makes the point, as well.
      One person in the audience at the women activists panel mentioned persons
    being disciplined at their worksites for peace-oriented or
    government-criticizing remarks. I personally had such an experience last week
    at work, being called in for "things like" having said "We're all going to
    get blown up, anyway" (in fact, I was semi-quoting from the daughter's
    comment in a Tillie Olsen story, but never mind).
      Well, not to mention the 1100 (?number?) disappeared and the potentials of
    military tribunals for suspected terrorists. It can't happen here, huh.
      Paula