Re: [sixties-l] Todd Gitlin on the war (fwd)

From: monkerud (monkerud@cruzio.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 11:42:38 EST

    Well Marty we can disagree over this, but essentially I see Gitlin as
    becoming more and more conservative as each year passes... the
    problem is that it started when he reached 30 (hold on there! just
    kidding).

    His criticism of the left for not rallying around the flag and
    "claiming" patriotism for our own struck me as only slightly to the
    left of Rush Limbaugh. And now I'm criticized for not taking his
    arguments seriously?

    Something has changed since Vietnam to make Gitlin's arguments
    serious? When I feel that I can trust the government, that the FBI
    and CIA have fundamentally changed, that those who run the corporate
    power structures are now tretding everyone fairly and providing jobs
    and livelihoods to their workers, when our military stops propping up
    corrupt regimes around the work that brutalize their citizens, when
    we stop sending our army to oppress uprisings in South and Central
    America, when start trading with Cuba ... get the idea?

    When you can show me that these things have changed and that we have
    a new America, then I'll consider becoming patriotic and rallying
    around the flag.

    In the meantime I will shy away from rallying around the flag that
    Gitlin wraps himself in and I won't take his so called criticism
    seriously. Damned called me narrow minded.

    best, Don