[sixties-l] BIG BROTHER COMES TO WOODSTOCK (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 01:27:29 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:41:16 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: BIG BROTHER COMES TO WOODSTOCK

    BIG BROTHER COMES TO WOODSTOCK
    10/1/01
    babs7@ulster.net

    Barbara Hartwell
    Legal Defense and Research Fund
    PO Box 832
    Woodstock NY 12498
    WEBSITE http://www.ulster.net/~babs7/

    Please Post & Forward.

    BIG BROTHER COMES TO WOODSTOCK

    Woodstock has always been a special place to me. Less than a hundred
    miles north of New York City, nestled in the foothills of the
    Catskill mountains, it had for the past thirty years served as a
    haven I could periodically escape to. I had long had a premonition I
    would end up living here and since 1996, Woodstock has been my home.
    I didn't have friends or family here. I came mostly because I just
    wanted to be left alone.... Life, liberty and the pursuit of
    happiness.... which to me, first and foremost, means being as free as
    possible from the constant interference, intrusions and
    transgressions of Big Brother.

    True, I couldn't stop Big Brother from tapping my phones. I couldn't
    prevent Big Brother from tampering with my mail; putting screws in my
    tires; hacking into my computers or subjecting me to satellite
    surveillance.

    But the rural back road I live on, at the base of a mountain, is not
    ideally suited for the traffic of surveillance vans. Another plus: No
    SWAT teams. Those goons in their flak jackets would stand out here
    like a sore thumb. They don't have SWAT teams in Woodstock...at least
    not yet.

    And harassment by military fighter jets at rooftop level ? Unheard
    of. They couldn't cruise low enough above the tree line before
    crashing into the mountain directly behind my house.

    Another nice thing about Woodstock, I thought, is the people who live
    here. Mostly artists, musicians, aging hippies still stuck in the
    time-warp of the sixties and iconoclasts of every stripe, they seemed
    to have a healthy respect for individualism and peaceful coexistence.
    You don't bother them, they won't bother you. Woodstock seemed to me
    like the Land that Time Forgot.

    Remember the peace sign ? Up until a few weeks ago, it was still the
    salute of choice in Woodstock. Up until a few weeks ago, Big Brother
    and his minions were nowhere to be seen.

    But things have changed in Woodstock. Not that I didn't see it
    coming.....

    Last year they moved the post office to a new site following a years-
    long battle between the powers-that-be and environmentalists in the
    community. The powers-that-be won out. The new post office now
    stands on former wetlands, once a refuge for birds and
    wildlife.

    Oh, and while they were at it, building the new and improved post
    office, complete with convenient parking, they installed a few
    surveillance cameras. Just a friendly reminder that Big Brother is
    watching you. Cashing a postal money order used to be simple. The
    postal workers recognized you, greeted you with a smile and handed
    over the cash. Now they have a high-tech scanner and you have to show
    ID.

    Being something of a recluse, I don't get out much. But then, since
    Big Brother has destroyed 8 of my cars since 1994, by acts of
    vandalism, high-tech exotic weapons and arranged "accidents", it's
    small wonder.

    On the rare occasions when I did manage to get out and about, the
    people I met offered little opportunity for meaningful interaction.
    Despite the live-and let-live philosophy of most Woodstock residents,
    I still felt that I was viewed by the natives as a strange bird. (And
    believe me, it's not easy to be considered "strange" in Woodstock.
    Tourists routinely drive by just to gawk at the motley crew of weird
    characters hanging out on the Village Green in the center of town. )

    Though I did try to talk to people about my own experiences and
    research, I rarely came across anyone who had ever heard about Big
    Brother's covert war on the American public.... even though it's been
    going on for at least 50 years. Most often their eyes would glaze
    over at the mention of electronic harassment, CIA mind control
    programs or the cabal of globalist fascists who control our
    government -- the enemy within -- intent upon destroying our national
    sovereignty and expunging our constitution. People would tell me I
    was "too negative"... that I was an "alarmist", or the old
    standby.... "paranoid".

    But despite their overall tolerance and peaceful nature, sadly, the
    folks in Woodstock are more typical than not in their ignorance and
    complacency. Think about it. Really, how many people have you ever
    met ANYWHERE who even have a clue about what's going on in their own
    country ? Hello ?.... hello?

    And then came Nine-One-One.

    I hate to say I told you so..... this to the people who scoffed in
    disbelief at my tales of government harassment and political
    persecution. Illegal domestic covert operations of the CIA. Extortion
    of their hard-earned money by gun-toting IRS thugs. Erosion of their
    civil liberties by the encroaching police state. Gun-control, gun-
    grabbing and the Million Mom March. Mandatory SS# required to get a
    driver's license. Arrogant census-takers and their idle threats of
    legal action against private citizens like myself who refuse to
    tolerate invasions of privacy. Biowarfare "tests" on innocent
    civilians. Microwave towers spewing out a miasma of electromagnetic
    pollution. HAARP. Echelon. Carnivore. Mass mind control. Brainwashing
    of the general public by the Corporate-Fascist -Controlled -and-
    Owned-Media. The shameless drugging of American children with Ritalin
    and let's not forget other mind-control psychotropics designed to
    keep the adult populace in line.... and on and on and on....

    But let's go back in time.... to the summer of 2000 and the
    political climate prevailing in the little town of Woodstock. In the
    months prior to the "election" of Dubya Bush, a constant stream of
    letters to the editor in the Woodstock Time angrily denounced Dubya
    as a warmonger. A polluter of Planet Earth. A dinosaur
    whose "unenlightened" politics were a throwback from the days of the
    Cold War. Certainly not the lesser of any number of possible evils.

    But anyway, the good folks of Woodstock sure enough had no use for
    Dubya Bush. No, indeed. And they weren't happy when he "won"
    the "election".

    And then came Nine-One-One.

    You can't drive through Woodstock now without the flag-wavers
    accosting you at every turn. Doing an informal survey, I counted the
    cars sporting American flags. Probably one-third of all vehicles. I
    don't have to ask myself what that flag stands for, at least in the
    minds of those proudly displaying it.

    Is it a symbol of FREEDOM ?

    The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave ?

    Are the 'patriots' waving those flags telling the world that it's
    time to stand up and be counted among those who will no longer
    tolerate the political corruption and tyranny --the conspiracy of the
    ENEMY WITHIN-- that is destroying our country and sucking the life
    out of our people?

    Are the flag wavers telling us that they love their freedom so much
    that THEY would be willing to lay THEIR lives down, if need be,
    defending that freedom ?

    No, no.... these folks are waving the flag NOT in support of freedom -
    -and make no mistake, FREEDOM means the God-given INDIVIDUAL
    liberties SUPPOSEDLY protected by the U.S. Constitution--but because
    Big Brother Bush and his cronies in the Olympic Cartel manipulated
    them into a panic using Psy Ops...the oldest trick in the book.

    How quickly they forget.....

    Suddenly, miraculously, Big Brother Bush is seen NOT as
    the "warmonger" of the pre-"election" days. No, now he is a Holy
    Crusader on Mission from God: To Wipe Out Evil from the face of the
    earth.

    Suddenly, miraculously, these same newly-converted 'patriotic'
    Americans --not just in Woodstock, but across the nation--are willing
    and even EAGER to hand over their OWN civil liberties in a show of
    patriotic solidarity, which they foolishly believe will protect them
    from "foreign terrorists".

    Last Saturday I went to the local mall in Kingston, a nearby city and
    the former capital of New York State. Inside the window of a
    clothing store, I saw a black T-shirt prominently displayed. Only
    $19.99......In large white capital letters, the slogan read:

    FUCK TERRORISM.

    And of course, Nine-One-One has also spawned a cottage industry of
    mass-produced goods for sale: A frenzy of cashing in on the latest
    horrific tragedy by promoting other catchy slogans like: Nuke
    Afghanistan.... Osama bin Laden: Wanted Dead or Alive....America:
    United We Stand....

    But "united" in support of WHAT ?

    In support of wiping out MORE innocent civilians by nuking
    Afghanistan into the stone age ?

    In support of Big Brother Bush, our fearless commander in chief, and
    the stormtroopers of his Homeland Security Force ?

    In support of jack-booted thugs patroling our streets and trampling
    what is left of our INDIVIDUAL rights and liberties HERE AT HOME ?

    In support of inviting Big Brother and his mainstream media toadies
    to commandeer our thinking process ?

    In support of being herded like so many cattle into the waiting arms
    of Big Brother and his Global Fascist Police State ?

    It took them awhile. Many years of illegal domestic covert
    operations. Treacherous and cowardly, creeping forward in stealth
    mode. But Big Brother and his demonic band of terrorists have finally
    arrived in Woodstock.

    Speaking strictly for myself, NO WAY IN HELL will I let them take me
    alive.

    I will not be wearing a brand-new T-shirt that reads FUCK TERRORISM.

    I have my own worn-out T-shirt, worn long before Nine-One-One. It
    says NO GUTS NO GLORY.

    And the flag waving in front of my door, here in Woodstock, says:

    DON'T TREAD ON ME.