Re: [sixties-l] Another mother for peace

From: Maggie Jaffe (mjaffe@mail.sdsu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 04:12:57 EST

    Dear Sixties People:

    Pogo's cartoon was not at all reactionary. On the contrary, "we met the
    enemy and he (them?) is us" was downright subversive. Pogo's declaration
    was on par with "we had to destroy Vietnam in order to save it." For the
    first time, that analogy was made very clear in all the dailies which
    carried the cartoon.

    Once again, American culture is such that cartoons (like Doonesbury) are
    in the forefront of "radical thought." It's sad.