[sixties-l] Antiwar News...(# 19) (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 02:06:55 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:34:03 -0700
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Antiwar News...(# 19)

    [multiple items]
    (Anti-war links/resources at the end.)
    Chaos as Afghans flee bombed city

    BBC (with additional by Reuters).
    19 October 2001.

    Refugees have been flooding out of Afghanistan in terror at continued US
    strikes.

    More than 3,500 Afghans poured into the border town of Chaman on Friday
    after fleeing heavy bombing in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar.

    The UN said the refugees came with no food and no belongings -- and they
    described the situation as chaotic.

    "A wave of panic has swept the border," a spokeswoman for the United
    Nations High Commissioner for Refugees told the AFP news agency.

    "Our border monitors reported that about 3,500 people, mostly women and
    children, entered Pakistan at the Chaman border crossing Friday," UNHCR
    spokeswoman Fatoumata Kaba said.

    Intense U.S.-led military strikes on targets in and around Kandahar
    overnight and Friday morning appeared to have sparked panic among
    residents of the Taliban stronghold in southwest Afghanistan, Kaba said.

    It appeared to be the biggest single exodus of Afghan civilians to
    Pakistan since Western strikes began 13 days ago.

    Describing the new arrivals in Pakistan as a "sudden rush," Kaba said
    she believed they had been allowed to enter on humanitarian grounds --
    although witnesses said a few well-aimed stones had also probably helped
    focus the border guards' minds.

    In the morning, a crowd of around 2,000 people had gathered at Chaman on
    the Afghan side.

    There was also a long queue of around 200 donkey-carts bringing scrap
    metal for foundries in Pakistan -- a daily routine -- stopped by the
    Pakistani authorities.

    When the crowd started throwing stones at the border post, the gates
    were opened and the hundreds of people pushed their way in.

    Among them were five families with members they said had been injured in
    the U.S. air raids.

    Nazar Muhammad, with multiple fractures in his legs and one arm, and his
    son Mohammad Zaman with a broken back, were the two most seriously
    injured.

    Pakistani officials say 50,000 Afghans have crossed into Pakistan since
    the crisis began.

    The UN is painting an increasingly bleak picture of the fate of the
    refugees.

    Many Afghans, they say, have not got money for food, let alone the
    journey to the border.

    New arrivals report having to pay smugglers up to $50 -- a huge sum in a
    country already brought to its knees by drought and war.

    The Pakistani Government is only allowing new refugee camps to be built
    in the border area, a remote and inhospitable region.

    Aid agencies have pleaded with the government to be allowed to build
    camps elsewhere.

    Refugee Mohammed Gul, a refugee from Kandahar told the BBC's Pashto
    service that he worked in a military hospital, but medicines had run
    out.

    He said: "Bombs were hitting people's houses."

    "They damaged lots of houses and they injured and killed lots of
    innocent people."

    "We were there and I saw about 50 people who died and some became
    injured."

    "Everyone is looking to the sky and waiting and thinking when will the
    American aircraft come and starting killing them."

    Mideast Clerics Decry U.S. - Led War.

    AP.
    19 October 2001.

    KHOBAR, Saudi Arabia -- Children emptied their piggybanks and a woman
    donated her wedding dress as a Saudi campaign continued Friday to raise
    millions for Afghan victims of U.S.-led attacks.

    With Muslims streaming into mosques for the day of weekly prayers,
    clerics in this Gulf nation and across the Middle East denounced the
    U.S. assault and called for holy war.

    Criticism was not directed just at the United States for its air
    campaign, which targets Afghanistan's Taliban rulers and the al-Qaida
    network of Osama bin Laden.

    Muslim nations -- in particular Pakistan and Turkey -- were singled out
    for siding with the Americans in a war that has led to the deaths of
    innocent Muslims.

    "We condemn what happened to the Americans, but what is happening to the
    Afghans is even worse," Sheik Mohammad bin Mubarak al-Tawwash, preacher
    at the Al-Kabir Mosque in Khobar, Saudi Arabia, said Friday. "We pray to
    God to protect the Muslims ... and we pray to God to give Muslims
    victory against the infidels."

    Public figures Thursday sent e-mails and mobile phone text messages
    urging people to donate money to the bank account of the fund run by a
    Saudi television channel to "help the poor Afghans."

    The campaign began Thursday afternoon. By late that night, the
    contributions totaled $36 million, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

    King Fahd donated $9.1 million, SPA said, adding that a woman caller
    gave her wedding dress. "Throughout the kingdom children were observed
    emptying out their piggybanks in which they have been saving their
    pocket money," the news agency said.

    Following a prayer service at a Khobar mosque Friday, a 25-year-old who
    would identify himself only as Saleh, said Americans are terrorists.

    "We pray to God that their destruction will come soon." said Saleh, who
    said he made a donation in hopes that it will help the cause that bin
    Laden, a Saudi exile, was promoting.

    "Osama is a holy warrior and he, God willing, will prevail over the
    infidels," Saleh said.

    Several Saudi clerics also used their services to praise bin Laden as a
    "true Muslim hero."

    In Bahrain, prayer leaders at two Manama mosques urged worshippers to
    donate money for the Afghans, while outside one of the mosques boys
    collected funds.

    "We should help them because they don't have houses, they are poor
    people and what America's doing to them is forbidden because there is no
    clear evidence" against bin Laden, Saad Abdullah, 15, said outside
    Ibrahim Khalil Kano mosque.

    Abdullah described bin Laden, the man held responsible by the United
    States for the Sept. 11 terror attacks that killed more than 5,000
    people, as a "good" man and a "mujahid" -- a holy warrior.

    "The big crime is that Muslim countries such as Pakistan and Turkey are
    in the war that is killing Muslims,'' Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Hussein
    Fadlallah told worshippers at a mosque in south Beirut, Lebanon.

    In Baghdad, an Iraqi cleric said the anthrax scare inside the United
    States "is a result of God's anger." "We challenge you (the Americans)
    to strike us because God will avenge," Bakir Abdul-Razak told
    worshippers during Friday prayers in Um al-Ma'arek mosque.

    At a Jordanian university mosque, preacher Abdul-Wahab Kassasbeh said
    all Muslims were obliged to join a holy war if a Muslim country is
    attacked -- even women. "If their husbands refuse their participation
    they should revolt against them and join the mujahedeen."

    In Tehran, prayer leader Mohammad Yazdi reiterated the Iranian position
    that the U.S.-led attacks on Afghanistan are wrong, asking "is it
    possible to clean a crime with a crime, to wash blood with blood, to
    clean ugliness with ugliness?"

    World public opinion is against the strikes on Afghanistan, he said, and
    everyone knows that "that person" -- an apparent reference to bin Laden
    -- "was created by the Americans themselves and trained by them and now
    has become trouble for them."