[sixties-l] Antiwar News...(# 16) (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 16:45:47 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:23:17 -0700
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Antiwar News...(# 16)

    [multiple items]
    (Anti-war links/resources at the end.)

    The US Planes Came At 9 . At 2am I Buried My Son

    The Telegraph - London
    10/15/1

    Fazal Mohammed, a 42-year-old cart-driver from Kandahar, is one of
    the innocent civilians the American bombardment of Afghanistan is
    supposed to miss. That is not how it turned out.

    "The planes came at nine," he said, sitting in a hospital bed, his
    left eye bandaged. "At two in the morning I buried my son. Then we
    all left."

    What happened to the Mohammed family is a esh-and-blood
    illustration of the meaning of "collateral damage". It was their
    misfortune to live in the Luwala district, next door to a Taliban
    munitions dump.

    "They warned us what was going to happen but we had no money to
    leave," said Fazal, who earns a pound a day when he can nd work.

    The depot was one of the rst targets to be hit in the war on
    terrorism. As it went up, it took half of the family's two-room
    mud house with it. "My son, Taj, was hit worst." He gestured with
    his hands. "His stomach was blown open. He was ve years old."

    After he had dragged himself from the rubble and the mayhem had
    subsided, Fazal buried Taj. He then paid a driver 15, every penny
    he had, to drive himself, his wife Bakhet and his surviving son
    and daughter to the Pakistani border.

    In another hospital across town, another victim of another attack
    lay stretched out, groaning with pain and shock and swaddled in
    bandages from head to foot.

    Faez Mohammed, 30, an Afghan refugee, left Quetta a month ago to
    do some labouring work in the Helmund region, about 120 miles
    across the border. He needed the 80p a day wage to support his
    wife and nine children.

    Last Thursday he was building a wall with three workmates when
    they heard aircraft. He does not remember what happened next but
    his injuries tell the story eloquently enough.

    The medical notes report a damaged left eye, deep bruising all
    over the body and two crushed legs. His arms were heavily pocked
    with puncture marks, the sort caused by ying dirt and grit in a
    big explosion.

    The two men were able to come to Quetta, 60 miles across the
    border, because they had Pakistani papers. Most Afghans are not so
    lucky.

    Their testimonies suggest that the perception fostered by the
    Allies that this war can be fought with minimum civilian
    casualties is illusory.

    The pattern of dealing with bad news is already established. As in
    the Kosovo war, stories of deadly blunders are initially treated
    by American spokesmen as possible enemy propaganda.

    Later, as denial becomes untenable, there is a grudging admission
    of error - as happened at the weekend when Washington, blaming
    pilot error, accepted that a stray missile killed four UN
    afliated mine clearing workers in Kabul.

    The longer the air war goes on the greater the inevitability of
    more - and grislier stories - such as those told by the two
    Mohammeds.

    They and their families are the wretched of the Earth. All their
    energies are engaged in the daily struggle to put on the table the
    bread, potatoes and soup that is all they can usually afford to
    eat.

    "I've no sympathy with the Taliban or anybody else," said Fazal.
    "They say bin Laden came to our town but I know nothing about it.

    "We are poor people. We have no interest in such things."

    He has never seen the images of the events of September 11, the
    indirect cause of his tragedy, as the Taliban have banned
    television.

    It is stories like these that are likely to stoke anger in the
    Muslim world against the US and its allies. From the victims,
    though, there was no word of bitterness.

    "We have no enmity with anyone," said Fazal. "All we want is peace
    and that this problem is solved by peaceful means."

    Penniless, wounded, a refugee for the forseeable future, it is to
    Islam that he turns as he contemplates his loss.

    "He was very small," he said. "It was too early to think about
    what he wanted to do with his life - that would have waited until
    he was 15 or 16. All I hoped was that he follow the path of the
    Prophet, may peace be upon him."

    Anti-War Rallies in Italy and India Attract Hundreds of Thousands of
    Supporters

    <http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1016-03.htm>

    by Frances Kennedy in Rome and James Palmer
    Published on Monday, October 15, 2001 in the Independent/UK

    A growing anti-war movement found its feet across the world yesterday when
    thousands of peace protesters in Italy and India called for an end to the
    bombing of Afghanistan.
    More than 200,000 demonstrators braved an unseasonably hot autumn day for
    the annual peace march from the central Italian town of Perugia to Assisi.
    Carrying colored banners and singing songs, historic pacifist groups, boy
    scouts, trade unions, the Tute Bianche (White Overalls), and left-wing and
    Catholic-inspired political parties buried their differences in their call
    for peace.
    The protesters shouted "We want peace not war", "Stop the terrorism against
    Afghanistan" and chanted slogans attacking George Bush, the United States
    President.
    There were similar scenes in India where about 70,000 people in Calcutta
    staged the biggest antiwar
    protest the country has seen. The demonstration in the West Bengal capital,
    organized by the state's ruling Left Front coalition government, drew
    intellectuals and students and members of leftist groups and unions.
    The protesters marched more than 7.5 miles through the city, entertained by
    performers who sang antiwar folk songs.
    In Italy, on the eve of the march, there had been concern of tensions or
    violence marring the event. For
    members of the anti-globalization movement, whose emphasis has turned
    towards antiwar, it was the first
    appearance in the piazza since the bloody repression of the protests at the
    G8 summit in Genoa in July. The anti- globalization groups carried huge
    polystyrene hands to give a virtual "slap" to politicians who backed the war.
    Organizers say at least 200,000 people took part. Members of the Greens
    carried Stars and Stripes and
    Islamic flags on the same standards with the slogan "Peace Immediately".
    Helicopters buzzed overhead as
    the colorful procession wound its way through the Umbrian countryside. The
    leader of the opposition Olive
    Tree coalition, Francesco Rutelli, was in the front line despite being
    challenged by the more radical groups.
    "We are all committed to see that the conflict finishes as soon as possible
    but the military intervention was
    right and indispensable to combat terrorism," he said.
    The march was initiated 40 years ago by an Italian advocate of
    non-violence, Aldo Capitini, and has grown
    steadily since. In recent years, during the Gulf War and the Kosovo
    conflict, the event has become politically charged and this year many of
    the historic Christian pacifist groups were angry at the radical and
    political tone of the march.

    Racial Justice -- Behind Today's Campus Anti-War Activism

    <http://www.alternet.org/wiretapmag/story.html?StoryID=11720>

    by Russell Morse, Pacific News Service
    October 16, 2001

    Dominique, a 22-year-old student at the University of California at
    Berkeley, stands in a blue work
    jumpsuit with a purple bandanna on her head, what she calls her "Rosie the
    Riveter outfit." She's
    holding an American flag with rainbow-colored stripes at an anti-war rally,
    trying to get passers-by to
    sign a petition to "protect our civil liberties."
    "I was never politically active before this. A couple weeks ago, though, I
    was walking out of class and
    I heard somebody tell this guy, 'Stop looking at me, you barbaric Arab.' I
    was shocked. Then I came
    out here and heard these people cheering 'Stop the violence, stop the
    hate.' From there I started marching and going to their meetings."
    There's a new anti-war movement brewing on the Berkeley campus, but it's
    not your parents' protest.
    Young people do not chant "Hell no, we won't go." They're crying out for
    racial justice, civil liberties,
    and other issues important to today's youths.
    It's a movement that has brought the diverse campus together to some
    extent. But different groups
    with different agendas have gotten involved, causing confusion and turning
    some away from the
    movement.
    After two weeks of involvement in the organizing effort, Dominique has
    noticed a somewhat muddled
    message.
    "There is a laundry list of issues. We have people with all different
    reasons why they don't want war
    or why they want their civil liberties protected, so it's kind of hard,"
    she said.
    Dominique got involved because she wanted to stop racial profiling at her
    school.
    "The main issue is racism in general. The thing is, when you go against
    people who look Middle Eastern, that can be anybody. Somebody said to me
    'Bring all your friends, we're going to bomb your ass.' I said, 'I'm from
    Puerto Ricoyou've been bombing Vieques for the last 25 years.'
    "We can't support terrorism, but how are we going to fight terrorism with
    terrorism?"
    Berkeley's student anti-war movement has garnered a student response. Eric
    is an 18-year-old freshman at Cal and a member of United Students of
    America (USA). The group formed to show support for America in the face of
    the attacks, and as a response to the campus protestors.
    "We are kind of disgusted, in a way, by these protests, so we decided to
    rise up and show the world that there are people in Berkeley who do support
    America," Eric said.
    Eric stands with a large American flag over his shoulder, the only flag at
    the rally that is not in some way defaced, altered or displayed
    upside-down. A group of students surrounds him, and he calmly addresses all
    of their questions and accusations.
    USA and its members have, expectedly, encountered a lot of opposition on
    campus. Eric tells the story
    of an anti-war organizer who followed a USA co-founder to his dorm, yelling
    at him and shaking his
    fist.
    "He was saying how peace was the way and 'You're completely wrong,' and I
    honestly didn't catch
    much of it because of all the yelling and screaming," Eric said.
    Eric and his fellow organizers at USA don't want to silence the protestors,
    though. He supports their
    right to air their views, but wonders why so many different issues come up
    in the context of an anti-war dialogue.
    "I differ on their viewpoints but I believe in free speech. I think that
    some of the rhetoric they're using
    isn't good, though. They're tying in a lot of different cards, the race
    factor, the sex factor, and I don't
    think that necessarily applies to the situation.
    "This is a war on terrorism. This isn't a war on a specific ethnicity or
    religion or group or people."
    Of course there is some disagreement even within the group of American
    loyalists. "We have some very war-hawkish people in our organization who
    support ground troops," Eric says. "They support going in there with a lot
    of military force, but there are some people in our group that don't feel
    that way... What brings us all together, though, is that we're pro-American."
    When the rally ended, people broke off into groups curiously divided along
    color lines, most notably, black and white.
    Troy, a 19-year-old black student and Oakland native, was taking a test
    during the rally. "I care about the anti-war movement to an extent, but I
    don't see how that's gonna stop crazy George Bush from going to war. He
    wouldn't even help us out with the energy crisis, so why would he give a
    damn about a few sons and daughters of hippies and Black Panthers protesting?"
    Troy thinks the days of successful social protest are over.
    "The thing about the 1960s is that was the first time in a long time people
    really started taking a stand.
    But now people look at Berkeley like, 'OK, they're gonna be protesting
    about something, so who
    cares?'"
    Matt Smauss is a student and principal organizer for the Stop the War
    Coalition. He was excited that
    the quickly organized rally had been successful, though he had hoped for
    more than "100 or 200
    people."
    He spoke about a group of people on campus who were not happy with the
    direction the movements
    was taking.
    "The student Jewish organizations have interpreted some of our message as
    anti-Semitic, but it's not
    meant that way. It's criticism of Israel's policy, not of Israel."
    Smauss said his organization was in the process of building a bridge with
    another group: the United
    Students of America.
    "It's a coming together between the two opposing groups of the rally under
    the second two points of
    unity: End Racism and Defend Civil Liberties. So what we do is agree to
    disagree on the first one
    (Stop the War) and come together on the second and third to try and get our
    message out."
    Whether that message can become focused and powerful remains to be seen.

    UN Mineclearing Programme In Jeopardy

    Jane's Defence Weekly
    October 17, 2001
    By Thalif Deen, JDW UN Correspondent, UN HQ, New York

    The UN Mine Action Programme in Afghanistan (MAPA) - described as one of
    the world's most heavily mined countries - is in jeopardy, with the
    prospect of sustained US-led military action against Taliban and terrorist
    targets throughout the country.

    Several non-governmental organisations (NGOs) - including the Danish
    Demining Group, the Mine Detection Dog Centre and HALO Trust - have been
    working under a UN umbrella to help clear the millions of anti-personnel
    landmines in Afghanistan.

    However, the programme, which began in 1989, is expected to be affected by
    the continuing crisis in that country, according to Mark Hiznay of Human
    Rights Watch (HRW). During the 1979-1989 Soviet occupation, an estimated 10
    million landmines were scattered throughout Afghanistan.

    There have been rumours that the Taliban regime forces are continuing to
    use landmines but HRW has not been able to confirm this, he added. Both the
    Taliban and the opposition Northern Alliance have long accused each other
    of laying new landmines.

    All UN personnel, including international staff involved in providing
    humanitarian and relief supplies, withdrew from Afghanistan before the
    beginning of coalition strikes on 7 October. MAPA has cleared more than 1.6
    million explosives from former battlefields, agricultural lands, roads and
    residential areas. According to the UN, the Afghanistan programme has been
    remarkably successful, and "illustrates what can be accomplished under
    trying conditions with a small pool of trained personnel". According to
    Hiznay, most of the clearance was being done by Afghan nationals under UN
    supervision.

    The programme suffered a setback when four Afghan civilian employees of the
    Afghan Technical Consultants (ATC), the largest mine action NGO in
    Afghanistan, were killed and another four injured when a US munition struck
    the ATC building in Kabul on 9 October.

    Should US-led coalition forces deploy on the ground they would face the
    additional danger of the presence of millions of landmines.

    According to MAPA, landmines and unexploded ordnance (UXO) cover about 724
    million m2 of land in Afghanistan. Of this, some 344 million m2 is
    classified as high-priority land for clearance.

    The latest annual 'Landmine Monitor Report 2001', published by the
    International Campaign to Ban Landmines (INBL), says that mined areas are
    being discovered at the rate of 12-14 million m2 per year.

    If current funding levels and clearance rates are sustained, it will take
    seven to 10 years to clear the 344 million m2 of high-priority land,
    according to a June 2001 socio-economic survey of Afghanistan sponsored by
    the World Bank and the UN Development Programme (UNDP).

    In 1993, the daily casualty rate in Afghanistan was estimated at about
    20-24 landmine victims each day or about 600 per month. Last year, the
    average declined to about 150-300 per month.

    Red Cross Condemns U.S. Strike on Kabul Warehouse

    Reuters. 16 October 2001

    KABUL -- Two U.S. bombs hit a warehouse of operated by the International
    Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in the center of the Afghan capital
    Tuesday, prompting a furious reaction from officials who said it was
    clearly a civilian facility.

    Rescue workers and Afghan ICRC employees raced to try to put out the
    blaze with fire extinguishers, but at least 35 percent of the food and
    other equipment stored at the facility were destroyed, witnesses and
    officials said.

    An ICRC worker was slightly wounded by flying glass in the raid,
    witnesses said.

    "It is definitely a civilian target. In addition to that, it is a
    clearly marked ICRC warehouse," said Robert Moni, head of the ICRC
    delegation in Kabul and now evacuated to Pakistan.

    "It is marked on the top with a red cross. People should take all
    necessary measures to avoid such things," he said.

    All aid agencies withdrew their international staff after the ruling
    Taliban said they could no longer guarantee their security in the face
    of attacks by U.S. warplanes.

    The ICRC had already complained to U.S. embassy in Islamabad and the
    Geneva headquarters had complained formally to the U.S. mission there,
    he said.

    "We have to evaluate the damage and how it will affect our work," said
    Macarena Aguilar, an ICRC spokeswoman in Geneva.

    "Of course we regret what has happened. This was not a legitimate
    target."

    Another ICRC's representative told Reuters that two bombs landed on the
    complex.

    "We have a warehouse compound with five buildings," said Pascal Duport,
    deputy head of the ICRC mission in Kabul until the organization pulled
    out all its foreign staff.

    "One was hit by two bombs. A fire started and apparently the fire
    brigade got control of the fire but I can't tell you if it was stopped.

    "Another building was touched by the fire but it was saved. It (the
    building hit) contained humanitarian assistance -- wheat, oil, blankets
    and so on. We think it is only partially affected."

    Bomb hits Afghan Red Cross building

    Times of London
    TUESDAY OCTOBER 16 2001

    A warehouse run by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was
    destroyed on Tuesday in an American air raid on the Afghan capital Kabul,
    seriously injuring an Afghan staff member, an ICRC official said.

    "I can confirm that a warehouse was hit at 1.30pm (1000 BST) this afternoon
    and one person has been injured, one of the local staff," said Robert Monin,
    the Head of the ICRC delegation for Afghanistan.

    Mr Monin said the warehouse, in a northern part of Kabul, was full of relief
    goods such as blankets, shelter materials and possibly food, but he could
    not give details on the quantities.

    "It was on fire but from our information it is under control now," he said.
    An official complaint had been lodged with the US embassy in Pakistan and
    through the ICRC headquarters in Geneva, he said.

    "They are taking note," Mr Monin said, referring to the response from the
    United States.

    ICRC spokeswoman Macarena Aguilar Rodriguez said in Geneva that the
    warehouse was marked with the ICRCs Red Cross emblem. "It was not a
    legitimate target, thats clear," she said.

    The ICRC warehouse is the second aid facility to be destroyed since the
    bombings began on October 11. A de-mining agency linked to the United
    Nations was destroyed by a US cruise missile last week, killing four Afghan
    guards.

    '100,000 Afghan children could die this winter'

    <http://www.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=1201001307>

    MONDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2001

    ISLAMABAD: ( AFP )
    As many as 100,000 Afghan children could die this winter unless food
    reaches them in sufficient quantities over the next six weeks, the United
    Nations Children's Fund, UNICEF, warned on Monday.
    UNICEF spokesman Eric Laroche said the organisation needed 36 million
    dollars to carry out its "bare emergency work" inside the country but so
    far had only received half that amount.
    "As many as 100,000 more children will die in Afghanistan this
    winter unless food reaches them in sufficient quantities in the next six
    weeks," Laroche told a press conference here.
    Laroche and other aid workers said that with the onset of winter, heavy
    snowfalls would cut off many people in remote mountain areas.
    Laroche said the combination of drought, years of civil unrest and the
    recent US bombing of the country had made the crisis facing children in
    Afghanistan one of the worst scenarios possible.
    "A number of you asked the United Nations over the past week what our worst
    case scenario would be in this crisis," he told reporters.
    If you have turned on the television over these past few days, you have
    seen injured bodies of young children, I ask you all: What could be worse?
    "Yet this is only the most public face of the suffering of Afghan children.
    "If you are a child born in Afghanistan today, you are 25 times
    more likely to die before the age of five than an American or a French or a
    Saudi Arabian child."
    Laroche said more than half the children in Afghanistan were already
    malnourished and 300,000 children died each year from preventable causes
    inside the country.
    United Nations spokeswoman Stephanie Bunker also Monday described the
    humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan as "the most serious, complex emergency
    in the world ever."
    She said six million Afghans had been identified as needing food aid and
    there were a further 1.5 internally displaced people.
    Bunker said there was a "six week race against winter" to get humanitarian
    aid into the country.
    However all aid agencies have been forced to suspend or severely curtail
    their operations because of the hostility of the ruling Taliban regime and
    the danger posed by US air strikes.
    Bunker said the strikes, which started on October 7 against the Taliban for
    its refusal to hand over accused terrorist Osama bin Laden, had contributed
    to the crisis.
    "The missile strikes make our jobs harder to do," she said.
    Another factor severely hampering the UN's ability to operate,
    Bunker said, was increasing lawlessness inside the country, which had seen
    the offices and property of many non governmental offices ransacked over
    the past week.

    U.S. Inadvertently Strikes ICRC Warehouses