Re: [sixties-l] Shelter From the Storm (fwd)

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 08:34:40 EDT

    sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu wrote:

    > AFTERMATH
    > Shelter From the Storm
    > By David Fricke
    >
    > Shortly after 8 p.m. on September 14th, I sang "God Bless America"...
    > .......and Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your
    > Land," a verse of each because that was all anyone seemed to know.

    The story I once heard, I forget the source, was that Guthrie heard "God
    Bless America" for the first time and was so enraged that he wrote "This
    Land Is Your Land" that night and recorded it the next morning as an
    answer to that vile song of Berlin's. And of course Guthrie's song is
    meaningless without the second and third stanzas.

    Carrol