[sixties-l] Waiting for Our John Lennon (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 15:43:06 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:49:15 -0700
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Waiting for Our John Lennon

    September 30, 2001

    Waiting for Our John Lennon

    <http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/30/arts/music/30STRA.html>

    By NEIL STRAUSS

    IF the Vietnam War was the first war that America witnessed on television,
    then the war on terrorism is the first one that Americans are coming to
    terms with on the Internet. E-mail boxes overflowed with communiqus from
    eyewitnesses and survivors in Manhattan, many of which painted a picture
    far bleaker than that on the
    news. Then there were editorializing e-mails like the Afghan-born novelist
    Tamim Ansary's plea for the civilians of his native country and an
    anonymous writer's suggestion that instead of sending soldiers and bombs,
    American forces should bring food and other gifts to cripple Afghan support
    for the Taliban. Other e-mails offered links to Web sites where small slide
    shows and Flash animations, all accompanied by music, served to drive home
    a point in a way that sometimes only art can.
    So it came to be that an executive at Clear Channel Communications was
    circulating among its more than 1,100 affiliate radio stations a list of
    songs deemed questionable for airplay in light of the attacks, a link to a
    Web site (www.yellow7.com/imagine) began to circulate on the Internet
    grapevine. At the site, an excerpt from a song that was part of the Clear
    Channel graylist (it's not quite a blacklist, since it's voluntary) played
    over images from the Sept. 11 attacks and their aftermath, with each
    photograph perfectly keyed to a song lyric for maximum emotional impact.
    The song was "Imagine," by John Lennon. In various guises on the Internet,
    remixed with quotes from President Bush or covered by unknown home-studio
    musicians, "Imagine" quickly became the soundtrack of hope in the wake of
    Sept. 11. Chief among its many attractions is this verse:

    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

    Written on the back of a hotel bill on an airplane, "Imagine" has been
    embraced as a universal anthem since its release in 1971. The song's
    critics, however, see Lennon's sentiments as naive anarcho- communism, a
    completely impractical proposition put forth by a man far removed from
    reality. But the reason critics dislike "Imagine" also happens to be
    exactly why the song, and all such art, is necessary. It envisions, and in
    doing so creates, a world that we can't in real life.
    It was no surprise, then, that Neil Young, rock's eternal hippie and fiery
    man on the mountain, knew just what song would be most poignant to perform
    on "America: A Tribute to Heroes," the all-star television fund-raiser
    broadcast on Sept. 21. Those who were listening closely may have noticed
    that when it came time to sing the lyric "Imagine no possessions/ I wonder
    if you can," Mr. Young changed the word "you" to "I."
    Mr. Young's point was to remove a small arrogance from the song, to confess
    that even he, the self- sufficient mountain man, may not be able to let go
    of the material world. Lennon, on the other hand, presented the challenge
    like a master speaking to you, the listener and disciple, who must change
    yourself in order to change the world. This sentiment ran through most of
    his songs and catchphrases, like "War is over, if you want it." Even his
    classic song "Give Peace a Chance," currently being re-recorded by his
    widow, Yoko Ono, and her pop-star friends, did not cast blame on the
    typical countercultural enemy, "them." Instead, it had a "you" implied.
    (Lennon will be honored on Tuesday in "Come Together: A Night for John
    Lennon's Words and Music," broadcast live on TNT from Radio City Music Hall.)
    These types of grand statements and direct challenges were the solo
    Lennon's genius and his Achilles' heel. As a pop star and an artist, he had
    a certain license to be arrogant, eccentric and overconfident in his
    beliefs and abilities. But at the same time, he had the strength of
    character to be true to himself and those ideals, even if they were
    ever-fluctuating and ever-mocked. As he once said, speaking of his and
    Yoko's bed-ins, "We are willing to become the world's clowns if it helps
    spread the word for peace."
    As idealistic as the songs were, however, they also had a realistic side.
    They didn't demand peace now; all they asked the listener to do was to
    imagine peace or to give it a chance. Lennon never wanted to be a leader.
    He didn't want people to believe in leaders or expect leaders to do
    anything for them. He just wanted to be a good example, which he sometimes
    was.
    That is why "Jealous Guy," another song from the "Imagine" album, is just
    as revolutionary as the title track. It expresses the sentiment that paves
    the way for "Imagine." As honest an apology and self- recriminating a
    statement as any in music, "Jealous Guy" says that love is
    difficult difficult but possible, and really quite simple if you're
    willing to let go of your ego. And once you find that you're a much
    happier, more complete person as part of a couple living in peace, it's
    only a small step to start imagining how that feeling would increase if
    shared among three people, or 20, or a nation, or a world. Of course, we
    live in a country in which more than one in every three women brought into
    an emergency room is there because of domestic violence. So if peace is to
    start at home, we still have a long way to go.
    As talented a dreamer as he was, John Lennon was far from perfect. Even in
    his most idealistic days, he could be petty, vindictive and cynical, often
    in song. He was a walking contradiction, and admitted such himself, stating
    in an interview, "Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part
    of me thinks I'm God Almighty." In other words, he was an average human.
    UNFORTUNATELY, my generation has yet to produce a fallible yet credible
    visionary, a deadly serious yet wickedly funny, peacenik pop star along the
    lines of John Lennon. This is because, until now, nothing has happened in
    my generation that has removed us from our solipsism.
    For the generation that came of age from roughly 1900 to 1920, there was
    World War I. The generation that came of age between 1920 and 1940 had the
    Great Depression to deal with. For the 1940-60 generation, World War II and
    the cold war. For the 1960-80 generation, Vietnam. But for those of us who
    reached maturity between 1980 and 2000, there was nothing. Or at least no
    major war, national catastrophe, or event that pulled people outside of
    themselves and their advancement or comfort and into a larger sphere of
    fear, suffering or danger that they would share with the rest of humanity.
    That was one reason Y2K fears were so rampant: people believed that it had
    been quiet for too long, that something had to happen.
    Unfortunately, it just did, and now we're waiting for our John Lennon, who
    isn't afraid to look like a clown while giving us hope a type of hope so
    simple, so naive and optimistic, that, after we laugh at it, we must cry,
    because we think, yes, he's right, but there's nothing we can do about it.
    And that's what differentiates most of us from the John Lennon of the late
    60's and early 70's: he tried to do something about it, and he challenged
    you to as well, even if on the smallest level possible, because he knew
    that the worst sin is
    believing that you can do nothing and then acting on that belief.

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will live as one.