Re: [sixties-l] Horowitz' Pro-War Ad

From: monkerud (monkerud@cruzio.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 01:04:50 EDT

    Brad,
    The point in such a rebutal is not to convince the person, like
    Horowitz, that you are addressing, but others who are standing on the
    sideline listening to the conversation.

    A good example of this is the "creationism" myth people who switched
    gears and are now talking about "intelligent design." Somehow this
    seems so absurd that it slipped through the cracks and now many who
    would reject such myth making, embrace its pseudo scientific language
    to embrace what is essentially "creationism" only now is dressed in
    different clothes. No one bothered to take this ridiculous notion on
    and people buy into it.

    That is the reason to take on such arguments. There needs to be an
    audience that can be convinced.. and as you well know our society is
    loaded with those who say, "I never thought of that."

    That is my take on the point....

    best, Don Monkerud