Re: [sixties-l] Fwd: 1984 (big brother)

From: william m mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 14:43:29 EDT

    My spontaneous reaction listening to Bush was, for the first time ever
    in hearing American presidents from Roosevelt on: "Hitler!" Hitler wrote
    not to tell small lies to the people, because they can spot them. Tell
    only Big Lies, because ordinary folk don't do that.
        With all respect to and approval for Levich' article, the best
    analysis of Bush' speech, along similar lines, was Fidel Castro's the
    other day. Ask the Web for it.
                                                                    Bill Mandel

    PNFPNF@aol.com wrote:

    > Subject: FWD: 1984 (big brother)
    > Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:03:04 -0700
    > From: S Culver <ksvp@sinewave.com>
    > To: george.miller-pub@mail.house.gov
    >
    > ___ Jacob Levich (jlevich@earthlink.net) is a writer, editor, and activist
    > living in Queens, New York.___
    >
    > "Bush's Orwellian Address"
    >
    > Seventeen years later than expected, 1984 has arrived. In his address to
    > Congress Thursday, George Bush effectively declared permanent war -- war
    > without temporal or geographic limits; war without clear goals; war against
    > a vaguely defined and constantly shifting enemy. Today it's Al-Qaida;
    > tomorrow it may be Afghanistan; next year, it could be Iraq or Cuba or
    > Chechnya.

    Do you teach in the social sciences? Consider my SAYING NO TO POWER
    (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), for course use. It was written as a
    social history of the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century
    through the eyes of a participant observer in most progressive social
    movements (I'm 84), and of the USSR from the
    standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier books) knowing that country
    longer than any other in the profession. Therefore it is also a history
    of the Cold War. Positive reviews in The Black Scholar, American
    Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco Chronicle, forthcoming in Tikkun,
    etc. Chapters are up at http://www.billmandel.net