[sixties-l] Editorial

From: Jerry West (record@island.net)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 21:21:38 EDT

    THE RECORD
    September 26, 2001

    Editor's Corner

    As the last issue was being printed the World Trade
    Center in NYC was being reduced to rubble. Can I say
    that I was surprised? The answer is no. I was
    certainly appalled by this terrible and disgusting turn
    of events, but not surprised. If one paid much
    attention to world affairs beyond the sanitized version
    presented by most North American media, then only the
    most oblivious Pollyanna would have failed to recognize
    the potential and even probability that something like
    this was bound to happen. This is not to say that it
    was justified. In a civilized world killing people to
    make your point is never justified. Period. But, that
    conditions in the world have come to such a state that
    this kind of terror can be expected should give us all
    cause to ask what has gone wrong.

    Almost as disgusting as this act of terror has been the
    official US response to it. From the very beginning
    the mainstream media, lead by CNN which seems to have
    become a propaganda arm of the US government, has been
    couching their reporting in the rhetoric of war and
    vengeance, conditioning people to support further acts
    of violence and a reduction in civil liberties rather
    than a rational and intelligent examination of what the
    real problem is and how to fix it.

    It is certainly time that we had a "war" against
    terrorism, in fact seriously combating terrorism is
    something that is way over due. However, if there is
    to be any success in ending or even significantly
    reducing terrorism, then the world must consider all
    terrorism and terrorists, not just selected ones. This
    means coming to grips with the fact that one of the
    biggest perpetrators of terrorism in the last 50 years
    has been the US government. Any action by the US to
    remedy terrorism that does not include serious self
    examination and a public acknowledgment of the US role
    in terrorist activities, and in creating a world where
    we now face such brutality as the events of September
    11, will be an action built on hypocrisy.

    The Americans are framing their response to the WTC
    attack as a defense of liberty and freedom, yet all
    around the world there are people whose liberty and
    freedom have been crushed by the US. The United
    States of the last half century is a United States that
    has conducted itself in violation of its own founding
    principles. In 1776 Thomas Jefferson wrote in the
    Declaration of Independence that "We hold these truths
    to be self evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their Creator with certain
    unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty
    and the pursuit of happiness." Yet, when designing US
    foreign policy all people are not considered or treated
    as equals, and life, liberty and such are rights
    readily alienated if they clash with economic
    interests. From Guatemala and Iran in the early 50s to
    the brutal terrorist regimes in Chile, El Salvador and
    other Latin American countries that were created and or
    supported by US money and training, the record of US
    participation in murder, mass murder, torture and other
    atrocities is dismal. The list of US supported
    butchers is long, including Saddam Hussein and Osama
    Bin Laden, the latest targets of condemnation.

    It is heartening to see that papers both in the US and
    overseas are now starting to run articles critical of
    the US government response to this crisis. Maybe some
    common sense will still prevail. William Mandel in
    California wrote "The time has come to realize that the
    motivation that brought about our Revolutionary War in
    1776 is the strongest single force active in the world
    today. People will be independent, no matter what
    Washington, Wall Street, and Silicon Valley want to do
    with and in their countries. The United States must
    either adapt to that or suffer the fate of ancient
    Rome." Words our leaders should wisely consider when
    setting out to deal with terrorism.

    Jerry West

    Copyright 2001, West's International

    Thanks to Bill Mandel for his great piece from which I stole the quote.

    --
    Jerry West
    Editor/publisher/janitor