Re: [sixties-l] US Political Prisoners Segregated After Sept. 11 Attacks

From: Maggie Jaffe (mjaffe@mail.sdsu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 17:56:25 EDT

    Dear Radtimes and Sixties People:

    I know firsthand that *ALL* prisoners were placed in lockdown last Tuesday
    and that mail is notoriously slow in any circumstance. Prisoners are
    routinely placed in SHU (Segregated Housing Units) for indefinite periods
    of time which is part and parcel of the pyschological torment in our
    prisons. In other words, it's "business as usual" for all in lockup.

    Before some of you tear me a new one, I believe that 15-20% of the
    population need to be isolated from the public and that prisons are a
    necessary evil. The rest, though, are victims of poverty, a morally
    bankrupt and dysfucntional system, and all its draconian drug laws.

    In solidarity,

    Maggie Jaffe