[sixties-l] "What did we do that they hate us so much?" 10-year-old reported on network TV

From: william m mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 23:04:31 EDT

    I posted this the afternoon of the catastrophe. Subsequently I read a
    number of posts of similar nature, but with not quite this perspective.
    So I think this is still useful. It has been modified very slightly to
    be totally in accord with the facts of the event as we now know them.

    > William Mandel
    > Oakland, California
    >
    > 9/11/01 5:36 PM
    > The attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Center
    > are the most important event in world history since the collapse of the
    > Soviet Union.
    > The disappearance of the USSR ended a half century in
    > which two powers dominated the world. The casualties in New York,
    > Washington, and in the skies made an end to the belief that the United
    > States could continue waging wars costing us no blood, whether in no-fly
    > zones over Iraq, in Kosovo, or anywhere else on any continent.
    >
    > For fifty-six years Washington has successfully conducted
    > mass murders of noncombatant civilians from the air with no fear of
    > retaliation. In 1945, when Japan could no longer strike back, there was
    > Hiroshima, 75,000 killed. Then Nagasaki, 40,000 killed. The Korean War
    > cost that country, with no possible means of harming the United
    > States, 4,000,000 dead [Encyclopedia Brittanica] versus 34,000
    > Americans, or moe than 100 Koreans per American. Most of the Korean deaths
    > were caused by American carpet bombing (white phosphorus, napalm,
    > explosives)to break the will to resist, and therefore
    > were predominantly civilian.
    >
    > The numbers in the Vietnam War were of the same orders of
    > magnitude. "Desert Storm" has slaughtered some 5,000 Iraqi children since
    the end of the fighting, due to the embargo against necessities.

    > Until now the vast majority of Americans have clucked
    > their tongues over these things and gone about their business. No more.
    > The deaths in the collapsed New York towers equals one month's losses of Iraqi children.
    >
    > The super-expensive space and information age
    > espionage technology of the National Security Agency, as well as the
    > more conventional activities of the CIA and FBI are now the
    > laughing stock of the world. As to the Defense Intelligence Agency in
    > the Pentagon, I wonder if it was accidental that the plane striking that
    > building hit exactly the section where that agency was housed.
    >
    > There is simply nothing Washington can do to restore the
    > situation existing before this morning. Even if it decides to blame
    > Saddam Hussein, and nukes Baghdad off the face of the earth, it will
    > accomplish nothing in a world of suicide bombers and underground
    > organizations capable of working in complete secrecy and with perfect
    > coordination. Undoubtedly U.S."intelligence"(?!)operations will be
    multiplied. That guarantees absolutely nothing.

    > The Korean War was accompanied by the rise of
    > McCarthyism. It is possible that today's events may bring similar
    > hysteria and suppression of civil liberties. Not only would that further diminish the
    > civil liberties that are one of this country's proudest achievements,
    > but by so doing it would reduce the ability of the citizenry to ask the
    > necessary questions about the policies responsible for the hatred of the
    > United State expressed in this catastrophe.
    >
    > The time has come to realize that the motivation that
    > brought about our Revolutionary War in 1776 is the strongest single
    > force active in the world today. Peoples will be independent, no matter what
    > Washington, Wall Street, and Silicon Valley want to do with and in their
    > countries.
    > The United States must either adapt to that or suffer the
    > fate of ancient Rome.
    >
    > William Mandel, Oakland, California
    > (37 years [1958-1995] on Pacifica Radio stations

    Do you teach in the social sciences? Consider my SAYING NO TO POWER
    (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), for course use. It was written as a
    social history of the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century
    through the eyes of a participant observer in most progressive social
    movements (I'm 84), and of the USSR from the
    standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier books) knowing that country
    longer than any other in the profession. Therefore it is also a history
    of the Cold War. Positive reviews in The Black Scholar, American
    Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco Chronicle, forthcoming in Tikkun,
    etc. Chapters are up at http://www.billmandel.net