[sixties-l] CIA Funding of Bin Laden

From: Sorrento95@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 14:08:04 EDT

    I need a little help with a research question.

    The CIA was funding Bin Laden in the 1980s and helping him to develop his guerilla warfare skills. At the time, Bin Laden was leading Arab guerillas resisting the Soviet presence in Afghanistan.

    I want to see how much responsibility for this rests on the shoulders of former US Senator David Boren, now president of the University of Oklahoma.

    Boren was Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is the CIA's chief sugar daddy in Congress.

    I would like to know if there was a specific discussion in that Committee about funding the Afghan rebels, and whether the name Bin Laden surfaced. I would also like to know what was said by Boren, and how he voted.

    I do not know when Boren was appointed to the Intelligence Committee. I think it quite likely that he was a member of it when the CIA support of the Afghan rebels was happening.

    Any help anwsering these questions would be appreciated.

    I'm currenty at the OU government documents library, but the situation here has declined in the years since Boren became OU president. They don't have expert librarians here any more. They are students (cheap labor), and they can't answer many questions.

     -- Michael Wright