Re: [sixties-l] Passing of Stan Weir

From: william m mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 22:19:04 EDT

    I knew Stan Weir at the time he and the anti-Bridges idiots did their
    best to undermine the most anti-racist labor union in existence, then
    and now, the Longshoremen. No, I was never a longshoreman, although my
    late son-in-law was, and his son, my grandson, is. This has nothing to
    do with Weir's courage in opposing the existing socio-economic system.
                                            William Mandel

    radtimes wrote:

    > Gabe Gabrielsky <scottshuster@msn.com> sent the following to H-LABOR:
    >
    > Stan first gained public notoriety in the 1960's as a leader of
    > the "B" men in the ILWU for full union citizenship and an activist in the
    > struggle against containerization. Support for his struggle was taken up
    > by leading anti-Bridges intellectuals on the East Coast including Norman
    > Thomas, Michael Harrington, Bayard Rustin, Harvey Swados and James
    > Baldwin.
    Do you teach in the social sciences? Consider my SAYING NO TO POWER
    (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), for course use. It was written as a
    social history of the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century
    through the eyes of a participant observer in most progressive social
    movements (I'm 84), and of the USSR from the
    standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier books) knowing that country
    longer than any other in the profession. Therefore it is also a history
    of the Cold War. Positive reviews in The Black Scholar, American
    Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco Chronicle, forthcoming in Tikkun,
    etc. Chapters are up at http://www.billmandel.net