[sixties-l] Paul McCartney wows PETA party

From: radtimes (resist@best.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 19:32:59 EDT

    09/10/200

    Paul McCartney wows PETA party

    <http://www.usatoday.com/life/2001-09-10-peta-party.htm>

    By Jeannie Williams, USA TODAY

    NEW YORK Paul McCartney had fiance Heather Mills at his side, but he made
    Saturday a night for his late wife, Linda.
    At the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals 21st anniversary party,
    McCartney and Mills ducked waiting media and were surrounded by security at
    their table at the Waldorf-Astoria dinner vegetarian, of course.
    Video clips showed PETA supporter Linda, who died of cancer in 1998, and
    Paul's efforts against fur use and animal testing. McCartney, tieless in a
    pink shirt, accepted a humanitarian award and told the crowd, "I share this
    with Linda." He did not mention Mills, who wore strapless turquoise and
    applauded from their table. (A song titled Heather is on McCartney's next
    album, due in November.)
    He presented the Linda McCartney Memorial Award to Chrissie Hynde and said
    her work for animals "sent shivers down the spines of their abusers."
    Hynde, arrested while protesting the Gap's use of leather from India, said
    the best thing about the award was "it has Linda's name on it." She also
    said it means a lot to think Paul ("one of my heroes") is an animal
    activist. She said that he gave her her first veggie burger back when she
    was a "brown-rice hippie."
    In jeans and a jacket, Hynde also noted the presence of Pamela Anderson,
    who co-hosted with Alec Baldwin, in a pink crocheted outfit emphasizing her
    bust. Said Hynde: "I'd like to get my picture taken with Pamela, so I can
    feel like man and wife!" Anderson was with Kid Rock, who, when someone
    asked what she was wearing, answered for her, "Not much!"