[sixties-l] Standoff at Michigan marijuana farm

From: radtimes (resist@best.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 19:07:24 EDT

    September 1, 2001

    Cops Still Surround Mich. Property

    By Associated Press

    VANDALIA, Mich. -- A news helicopter was hit by a bullet during a standoff
    between police and the owner of a campground who was due to appear in court
    on drug and weapons charges.
    Police still had the property surrounded Saturday, a day after the shot was
    fired.
    The bullet tore through the helicopter's rear stabilizer, but the helicopter
    was able to land safely and no injuries were reported, reported the Indiana
    television station operating the aircraft.
    Sheriff's deputies went to the Rainbow Farm Campground about noon Friday
    after neighbors reported the owner, Grover T. Crosslin, 46, was burning
    buildings on the property in southwest Michigan.
    Deputies evacuated six houses and watched as three buildings burned. Gunfire
    came from the campground and the helicopter from WNDU-TV of South Bend,
    Ind., was hit, Cass County Sheriff Joseph Underwood said.
    "We're trying to set up some negotiations right now, to get a phone line in
    and do some talking," Underwood told The Truth newspaper of Elkhart, Ind.
    "Obviously, (Crosslin) is in an agitated state at this time."
    Calls to Rainbow Farm on Saturday met with busy signals.
    Crosslin's sister, Shirley DeWeese, of Elkhart, Ind. said her brother wanted
    to be left alone.
    "I can't talk to him ... he was very angry with the government and the way
    they have done things," DeWeese told the South Bend (Ind.) Tribune. "I just
    hope he remains cool and calm. He doesn't want all the violence."
    Authorities arrested Crosslin and others on drug charges in May after a long
    investigation into allegation of marijuana use at the campground and its
    annual festivals, Underwood said. A Hemp Fest there typically draws
    thousands of visitors
    A statement on Rainbow Farm's Web site says it "supports the medical,
    spiritual and responsible recreational uses of marijuana for a more sane and
    compassionate America."
    Crosslin was charged with felony possession of a firearm, growing marijuana
    and maintaining a drug house.
    On Friday, he was facing a $150,000 bond revocation hearing because police
    believed he was violating the terms of his release. The property is also the
    target of civil forfeiture proceedings.
    "I assume he's upset about the court hearing," Underwood said.