Re: [sixties-l] question about Mario Savio (fwd)

From: Michael William Doyle (mdoyle@gw.bsu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 23:12:47 EDT

    WE ARE THE PEOPLE OUR PARENTS WARNED US AGAINST is the title of a book by _Washington Post_ journalist Nicholas Von Hoffman (Chicago: Quandrangle Books, 1968). It was based upon reportage he filed from the Haight-Ashbury during the summer and early fall of 1967. (The softcover edition (Greewich, Conn.: Fawcett Publications, 1968] features the subtitle on the cover: _A Close-up of the Whole Hippie Scene_). On page 71, Von Hoffman attributes the source of this slogan to "Graffito, coffeehouse wall, Summer 1967."

    Michael Wm. Doyle www.bsu.edu/classes/doyle
    Ball State University mwdoyle@bsu.edu
    Department of History (o) 765-285-8732
    Burkhardt Building 213 (f) 765-285-5612