[sixties-l] Black Panther Party Reunion Update

From: radtimes (resist@best.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 01:44:50 EDT

    35th Anniversary - Black Panther Party Reunion Update

    By Gail Shaw <itsabouttime3@juno.com>

    The program for the 35th Year BPP Reunion and Conference is continuing to
    develop. David Dubois, professor at U. Mass at Amherst and former editor of
    the Black Panther Party newspaper, has agreed to participate in the panel on
    reparations. Bobby Seale, co-founder and former Chairman of the BPP, will
    be conducting a workshop on grassroots organizing in the high-tech era.

    Several Congresspeople, including Bob Rush, Cynthia McKinney, Barbara Lee,
    Maxine Waters and Jesse Jackson Jr., have been personally invited to sit on
    the panel for the Tribunal on Cointelpro. A major feature of the
    conference, there will be hearings with testimony from Cointelpro victims
    which hopefully will be used in the ongoing Congressional investigation.

    We encourage everyone to send in your registrations as soon as possible as
    funds are needed to continue the organizing process for a conference this
    size. Any former Black Panther Party members, NCCF members or community
    workers who are not on our mailing list, please send us your address and
    other contact information so we can keep you informed. Anyone who would
    like more info or registration materials can visit our website at
    itsabouttimebpp.com or write to It's About Time, PO Box 221100, Sacramento,
    CA 95822.

    It's About Time will be publishing a historical conference program and is
    accepting ads from progressive organizations and individuals who wish to
    include a message in the program. The revenue from the ads will enable us to
    produce materials for the conference and help defray other costs. We
    appreciate everyone's support.

    The fees are: $200 for a full 8 1/2 by 11 page, $100 for half page, $50 for
    a quarter page and $25 for a business card size ad. Individuals will be
    listed as donors for $15 and families for $25. Make checks payable to It's
    About Time, PO Box 221100, Sacramento, CA 95822. Ads should be camera
    ready, they will appear as they are presented, and materials submitted will
    not be returned. The deadline is Sept. 15, 2001.

    In an earlier update;

    "It's About Time announces the support of Pam Africa and the MOVE Family for
    the 35th year Black Panther Party Anniversary and Conference. Pam and the
    MOVE family will facilitate a workshop dealing with Mumia's case in
    relationship to him being both a political prisoner and a victim of
    Cointelpro. It is widely known that Mumia, formerly known as Wes Cook, has
    been under surveillance for being an activist for most of his life. He
    became a bigger target when he joined the Black Panther Party at age 16.

    Julia Wright of the International Concerned Friends and Family of Mumia
    Abu-Jamal in Paris, France, has announced that she will attend the
    Conference. She will be helping to get the word out about the Conference in
    the international community. Julia was also a BPP member in the 70's and
    worked closely with Connie Matthews of the International Section of the BPP."

    For Conference updates and info, please visit our website.

    Web: www.itsabouttimebpp.com
    E-mail: itsabouttime3@juno.com