Re: [sixties-l] Speaking Tour with Elaine Brown

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 22:21:46 EDT

    I find this piece of information mind-blowing, particularly since Speak
    Out is, or was, an organization that I respected. You ask any former
    Black Panther, who wasn't an undercover FBI or police agent, what they
    consider Brown's role to have been, and the consensus will be that she
    was a "pig." She was a main collaborator with Huey Newton in the
    destruction of the BPP and this choice by Speakout will no doubt make
    Davd Horowitz's day because she was around when Betty Van Patten, who
    had been the BPP accountant, was murdered.

    To recall one Elaine Brown moment, when she was asked by Atty. Luke
    McKissack,during a Panther trial in LA why Melvin "Cotton" Smith, who
    turned out to be an undercover FBI and police agent, was staying at the
    home of SWAT team Sgt. Callahan, Brown's response was that "he needs
    protection." Brown also was one of those who attended the Oakland
    meeting with Geronimo Pratt when he was supposed to have committed a
    murder in Santa Monica, and I don't recall her ever coming forth to
    apologize.

    I will contact Speak Out and let them know what they've done.

    Jeff Blankfort