[sixties-l] Prison film, THE STRUGGLE WITHIN

From: radtimes (resist@best.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 19:24:55 EDT

    From: Claude Marks
    Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 3:55 PM

    Encourage your local stations to get this free of charge and use it in
    August. A program on the 30th anniversary of the Attica Rebellion follows
    for September:

       THE STRUGGLE WITHIN

    30 Years After the Murder of George Jackson:

    A 29-minute documentary about the origins of the
       modern anti-prison movement

    August 21st marks the 30th anniversary of the murder of George Jackson in
    San Quentin prison. Through his writings and leadership inside, George
    Jackson embodies the legacy of the prison movement.

    Who was George Jackson?
    Why was he targeted by the prison administration?
    What makes him important to the anti-prison movement today?

    Featuring historical materials, including George Jackson, from the Freedom
    Archives. Other voices include:
    7 Angela Davis, UC Santa Cruz professor, who supported George &
    Jonathan Jackson
    7 David Hilliard, former Black Panther Party leader
    7 Ruchell Magee, prison activist and leader, still in prison for his
    political activities
    7 Georgia Jackson, mother of George and Jonathan Jackson
    7 Harry Belafonte, performer and human rights activist
    7 James Baldwin, outspoken writer and social activist
    7 David Johnson, Hugo Pinell, Luis Talamantez and Sundiata Tate, all
    charged with the San Quentin rebellion following the murder of George Jackson
    7 Narrated by Jonathan Jackson, Jr.

    Knowing what happened in the early 1970s prison movement is essential
    for youth, communities of color and progressives to effectively confront
    today s unprecedented prison growth. We bring you this history through the
    voices of the people who were there - taking young people back to a time
    that, in today s context, seems unimaginable.

    Available free via satellite(Channel A719 8/13 11am EST and 8/16 12pm EST)
    or on Cassette.

    For more information contact:
    The Freedom Archives/Real Dragon Productions
    (415) 863-9977 or claude@freedomarchives.org

    "Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience.
    Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world have obeyed
    the dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone to war,
    and millions have been killed because of this obedience. . . Our problem
    is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and
    starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people
    are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while
    the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem."

    Howard Zinn, "Failure to Quit", p. 45

    Freedom Archives
    522 Valencia Street
    San Francisco, CA 94110