Re: [sixties-l] Summit protesters - rebels with a cause!!!!!

From: GKlotz33@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:13:22 EDT

    In a message dated 7/16/01 9:00:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, resist@best.com
    writes:

    << "Another similarity with the 60s is that today's protestors are middle
     class. That must be worrying for governments who rely on their middle
     classes to put them in power and keep their economies running." >>

    Even more worrying for them will have to be that, in fact, these protestors -
    as opposed to the 60's - are not all middle class. Trade unions have joined
    the fray and attract huge contingents of demonstrators (I saw them in
    Quebec). OK, we know the trade unions have been greatly weakened, but they
    still have some clout behind them. In the 60's, and I do remember it, the
    trade unionists FOUGHT us; now they are with us.
    Just the other day I was talking with some young people who were bemoaning
    that they did not live in the 60's. I said, hey, take a look around you.
    The 60's in a new form with some new and some similar issues IS BACK. There
    is a movement and it is growing. Go to the next anti-globalization
    demonstration and you'll see.

    How about someone putting up lists of the upcoming anti-globalization demos
    so we can go if one is near us.
    Gretchen Dutschke