[sixties-l] The 60s and growth of Buddhism in the West

From: Sharon Smith (sharon@matilda-northiam.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 15:01:48 EDT

    Dear Friends,

    I am researching the growth of Buddhism in the West and am looking at
    the reasons why the majority of those taking up Buddhism have been white
    and middle class with only a minority of people of colour (in particular
    black people) getting involved. As one key growth point of Buddhism was
    during the 1960s, I would be interested to know any reasons why it was
    mainly white middle class people that got involved in Buddhism at that
    time, and why so few black people/people of colour developed an
    interest. I would also be grateful to know about any books/articles or
    other resources you may know of that discuss these and related issues.

    I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance for your
    help.

    With best wishes,

    --
    Sharon Smith