[sixties-l] Leary Smear FeedBack

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 17:28:47 EDT

    Leary Smear FeedBack
    6/20/2001
    Forwarded by Kenn Thomas (kennthomas@umsl.edu)

    Dear Jeremy Bridges, thanks for doing the dirty job of history
    laundering.

    Interesting how history turned Reagan, who run the country into a
    ditch and had worth scandals than Clinton could ever dream of -- how
    Reagan now is the greatest Prez. we ever had. On the other hand Leary
    who while risking his own comfy professorial life in effect probably
    saved thousands of young men from death in Vietnam by making them
    think and leave for Canada or Europe.

    After the CIA decided not to kill him -- because of the
    unpleasantries of martyrdom I wasn't shocked that they tried to turn
    him into a snitch. When that happened my life's experiences told me
    that someone exiled for about two years then jailed for an other 4 or
    5(?) isn't exactly well informed about current illegal business going
    on -- in fact often you're happy to get last month newspaper. And for
    the ever doubtful there is a book by John Bryan that gives you all
    the nasty details about Timothy's final escape, and he -- as Tim told
    me -- is a Leary-hater -- and still he could not find anybody who
    went to jail... What really bothers me are sentences like: " I
    realize, that in today's counterculture, we do not have the huge mega-
    stars (Like Abbie Hoffman) to help lead us." How about
    super/giant/mega/giga-stars to try to begin to start to help to lead
    us, lead us... oh my god we are without leadership... call the
    Germans...maybe they still have some cheap left-over-leaders.....

    O! the silliness -- why wasn't Tim behind George Bush the elder if he
    was such a Bush fan? So -- thank you for the dirty job of setting
    history straight which otherwise I might have felt to do.

    Brummbaer

    >From Graham K. Wilson

    Tim Leary was only one of my best friends I ever had! This Leary-as-
    Devil theorist was obviously never one of Tim's friends and never
    really even knew him except for the various warped media images he
    has obviously been very biased by. Tim was not only one of my best
    friends but also one of my only friends. I know he never did anything
    he didn't have a right to do to me. he was, and to me he still is, a
    bodhisattva! in fact we both are still bodhisattvas of the L.S.D.-
    25/timetravel neurochemistry TRUTH, to me.

    Unlike anyone else he got me to look at my brain and IQ totally
    seriously and faithfully in myself. without him i do not believe i
    could dream of life with meaning and/or "the beyond"...he helped me
    weaken my death instinct of my suicidal behaviours...I swear, I might
    not still be alive if it weren't for him!

    I also noticed the Leary-as-Devil theorist didn't even mention Harry
    Browne, the libertarian candidate for President as if Nader were the
    only real hippie or drugee or "lefto" option.

    Complete inattention to detail seems to be the universal
    characteristic or trait of such "Leary-bashers"! to me they are not
    scientists but right or left wing nutso politicians or worse and not
    one of them enough of a scientist to be able to judge his scientific
    value or worth!