[sixties-l] Timothy Leary VS. Ralph Nader

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 02:12:07 EDT

    Timothy Leary VS. Ralph Nader
    6/16/2001
    RecurveTD2@aol.com

    Greetings,

    I am writing this email to you because I think you will get the most
    enjoyment out of it. Last year, I remember a very big free-for-all
    of conspiracy theorists coming to the aid of one Timothy Leary. It
    seems that someone had once again dug up the story about his arrest
    back in the late 60s, or 70s, I don't really know. But I am sure you
    know what I am talking about. It was rumored that Leary spilled his
    guts to the Feds, selling out many of his counterculture brethren, so
    that he could get off. Many of you came forward to heap much praise
    onto Leary, and to denounce the rumors. No doubt, it would take
    something very big to drive a wedge between you and the late Mr.
    Leary. Well, here goes...

    Ralph Nader.

    Voting for Nader was the biggest fad to hit college campuses last
    year since Capri pants. Any hippie, environmentalist, anti-big
    business, antigovernment, or other counterculture big wig worth their
    salt voted for Nader in the 2000 election.

    As tens of thousands of wasted voters wasted their vote on Nader,
    they helped to pave the way for Bush to sneak into the White House.
    But, I am not going to get into that big mess, not know anyway. I am
    hear to talk about Ralph Nader. And I am here to talk about Timothy
    Leary. And here it is.

    Your beloved Tim Leary would never have voted for Nader in a million
    years.

    Here's my proof..

    Recently, I had the good fortune of getting my hands on an old hippie
    magazine called "Head Magazine." This fine issue which I have is the
    NOV/DEC issue from 1976. Although the magazine was in terrible
    shape, I was still able the read the enclosed interview with Timothy
    Leary. The interview was conducted by one Allan Earle. Now, I won't
    bore you with the many subjects that were discussed in this
    interview. They talked about peace, love, LSD, blah blah blah. The
    usual stuff.

    What I want you to see, is the part of the interview that I have
    retyped below.

    Earle: "You don't foresee the possibility that we'll each other up
    before your visions materialize?

    Leary: I think the chances are less than one percent that we'll blow
    each other up. However, if we don't get things moving, if we don't
    migrate into space, you're going to have an anthill, an insect nest-
    like place. There's going to be more and more people. There's not
    enough energy, or material resources on this planet. And Ralph
    Nader, who is the biggest insect or monster of all, is an example of
    what our world's going to be like if we don't get our asses out of
    here.

    Earle: Why Ralph Nader?

    Leary: OK, Ralph Nader thinks our cars should be small, weak, drab,
    and slow. That's because Ralph Nader is drab, weak, and slow. Ralph
    Nader wants to put limits and there can be no limits. It's the
    genetic code's message. The message of evolution is expand, exploit,
    go faster,go farther, get higher, move out in every direction with
    more energy and power. And Ralph Nader would have us busted for
    cosmetics and cigarette smoking. I don't want to be too hard on
    Ralph Nader, I use him as the prophet or the guru of safety and
    security. Risk is the key to evolution, and that's what I am talking
    about."

    So, tell me. Who do you love? Leary or Nader? Because it is
    obvious to me how Leary felt about the man he called a "monster."
    And the next time you go ragging on Bush about his pro-oil agenda.
    Just remember these handy tips:

    When Bush talks about digging for oil in Alaska, remember what Leary
    would say,
    "The message of evolution to expand." "Risk is the key to evolution."

    When you get all teary eyed over gas-gluzzing SUVs, remember what
    Leary sez,
    "The message of evolution is to go faster." "There can be no limits."

    Oh yes, one last little nugget from you good pal, Tim Leary. Here is
    what he thinks of your beloved marijuana..

    "I think that marijuana makes you stupid but sensual. I've watched
    many of my friends and loved ones become more erotic and dumber--just
    going around with a glazed expression on their faces from their last
    orgasms to the next--and found them really quite boring. It was a
    great tragedy in my life that this happened to me personally. You're
    trying to get me to endorse drugs aren't you?"

    I just want to say, that I totally disagree with everything that
    Timothy Leary stands for. His idiotic idea of trashing this planet,
    then flying off into space only proves what a lunatic he was. While
    you blindly throw yourself onto any bombs thrown at his lasting
    image, I have been reading the facts. And the fact is that Timothy
    Leary would probably be a big Bush supporter. And would want us to
    bathe ourselves in oil, then drive our huge SUVs through the rain
    forrest, killing anything that got in our way. And why? Because
    it's evolution! It's genetic! We should slash and burn the earth!
    Then as he so stupidly put it, get our asses into space! What a
    lovely philosophy.

    I realize, that in today's counterculture, we do not have the huge
    mega-stars (Like Abbie Hoffman) to help lead us. We only have so
    called "leaders" who are here one day, then driving off in a SUV the
    next. People today love to wear their beliefs on their sleeves.
    People announce that they are against the WTO with great pride and
    arrogance. But, ask those same people what WTO stands for, or what
    they suggest is a better alternative, and you would see a lot of
    glassy eyed stares glaring back at you. We love to hoot and holler,
    and throw rocks at Star Bucks windows, but we still accomplish
    nothing. We love to kick up a big shit storm and burn stuff to the
    ground, but no one is willing to stick around and build something
    better in it's place.

    They run in, throw a few rocks, yell a few select chants, then we all
    go running home to our brightly lit homes, and DVD players, and
    SUVs. We all hate big-business, but damn if we don't love to buy buy
    buy!

    The whole point of this email is to serve as a warning and hopefully
    a wake up call.

    Just because Leary lived during the 60s, and was a well-known figure,
    does not mean that you knew all about him, and should obey his every
    word. Don't follow the mob. Even if that mob is made up of the
    coolest and best dressed people you have every known. Just because
    someone or something is big and shiny and looks nice, does not mean
    that it is worth your love. Even if everyone on earth tells you that
    it is. Leary included.

    Hugs and Kisses,

    Jeremy Bridges