[sixties-l] Re: Wesley Hogan on SDS film

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 20:19:18 EDT

    Re: Wesley Hogan on SDS film

    Date: Tue, 08 May 2001
    From: Joe Berry <joeberry@igc.org>

    I wish to thank Wesley Hogan for this discussion contribution. As one
    who shared most of Lemisch's criticisms of the film, but also sees its
    value and the good motives with which it was made, I share Hogan's
    dismay that Lemisch had to fall into one of the key errors so many of us
    as activists fell into in the 1960's in sds. As one who was a lower
    level leader (regoinal traveller) and deeply involved in the later 60's
    internal debates and conflicts and was at the famous split convention, I
    hope we can start to make a usable past for younger activists to access.
    This will come only with serious additions to Garvy's film, but will not
    come if we cannot distance ourselves enough from the old debates to
    assess them without insult. We have inherited a style of debate that we
    must reexamine and, while Garvey just omits the conflicts, it will not
    do to merely recreate them in the old style of debate either. I do not
    know how this will come about, but as a teacher and labor educator and
    organizer myself, I know we need it. Ideas about how to do it would be
    a useful turn to this thread, imo.