Re: [sixties-l] [BRC-NEWS] Slavery and the Genocide Treaty

From: wmmmandel@earthlink.net
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 01:53:38 EDT

    Re Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz' article posted below, I am delighted that
    someone sees the usefulness and ongoing validity of the Genocide
    Convention in this regard. I would like to suggest that people would
    gain by reading a fifty-year-old book-length petition to the United
    Nations, WE CHARGE GENOCIDE, submitted to that body on behalf of the
    Civil Rights Congress (U.S.), the writing of which was organized by a
    man who is virtually forgotten, William L. Patterson, son of a slave and
    historically the individual who occupies the chronological space between
    DuBois as NAACP founder and editor of The Crisis, and Martin Luther
    King.
            It was my honor to have been asked by Patterson to travel the country
    bringing that document-book to the attention of Black leadership, to
    whom Patterson's name was an open-sesame in 1951 because of his major
    role in the Scottsboro and other struggles, and also to the eyes of
    those whites who would listen. The responses in the progressive trade
    unions struggling to survive against the Red-baiting of the period are
    among the warmest memories of a lifetime.
                                            William Mandel

    Ron Jacobs wrote:

    > >From: Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz <rdunbaro@pacbell.net>
    > >Subject: [BRC-NEWS] Slavery and the Genocide Treaty

    Do you teach in the social sciences? Consider my SAYING NO TO POWER
    (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), for course use. It was written as a
    social history of
    the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century through the eyes of a
    participant
    observer in most progressive social movements (I'm 83), and of the USSR
    from the
    standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier books) knowing that country
    longer than any
    other in the profession. Therefore it is also a history of the Cold War.
    Positive reviews
    in The Black Scholar, American Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco
    Chronicle,
    forthcoming in Tikkun, etc. CHAPTERS MAY BE READ AT BillMandel.net