[sixties-l] Re: near and long term fixes for the cause of PTSD (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 21:52:38 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:12:43 -0700
    From: Helen Gore <hyg@onemain.com>
    To: drieux@wetware.com, jtmiller@uiuc.edu, borneo@mail.dnai.com,
         joe@countryjoe.com, webmaster@BRIGHT-IDEA.COM, mwbibb@ARK.SHIP.EDU,
         kccole@one.net, epm2@LEHIGH.EDU, mruland@erols.com,
         sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
    Subject: Re: near and long term fixes for the cause of PTSD

    At 08:10 PM 4/19/2001 -0700, drieux just drieux wrote:
    >On the political side of that problem - we may wish to remind folks that a
    critical component of the DSM-IV definition for PTSD remains the 'life
    threatening' criterion - and as such helping many in both the media and the
    media-consumer end of the process to understand that a 'bad hair day' does
    not suffice to earn the title 'ptsd'.

    Drieux,
    The complete criteria is:

    "...experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that
    involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the
    physical integrity of self or others"

    Psychological torture and other such situations qualify just as much as
    looking down the barrel of a gun. In addition, traumatologists recognize
    Complex Traumatic Stress involving constant or multiple experiences of
    lessor stressers. You probably won't see it official until DSM VI, but
    it's real!

    >the critical question at this point is whether or not we will be able to
    move forward with the near term solution - getting the armed forces to
    include 'psychiatric first aid kits' as part and parcel of the standard
    'load out' for all military personnel.

    I'm with you 100% there!

    Regards,
    Martin (via my partner's account)