Re: [sixties-l] (Fwd):Reparatiopns, DH & the Left

From: wmmmandel@earthlink.net
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 18:12:53 EDT

    1) I think the issue would not have won the attention it has if students
    had not rebelled against the ad.
    2) In a narrow sphere in which I am deeply interested, there are 5,000
    radio stations available to the other side. There are 50, i.e., 1 for
    every 100 of the former, carrying the best our side has to offer,
    "Democracy Now." Therefore I see no reason to waste the precious air
    time of the five Pacifica stations supposedly on our side to "balance"
    arguments. 100 to 1 is hardly balance.
                                                                    Bill Mandel

    Marty Jezer wrote:

    > William Mandel wrote:
    > > So you conclude that the Horowitzes should always be entitled to more
    > > ink than us, since they will always be able to buy more advertising
    > > space. Is that correct?
    > > William Mandel
    >
    > That's an easy question to ask, Bill, not so easy to answer.
    >
    > Yes, it's true, their side has more money than our side; more money for
    > advertisements, more money for lobbying, more money for campaign
    > contributions, more money for public relations, more money even to bus
    > people to Washington for demonstrations. Is your idea that our side, the
    > poor minority, censor their side, keep them from advertising?

    Do you teach in the social sciences? Consider my SAYING NO TO POWER
    (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), for course use. It was written as a
    social history of
    the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century through the eyes of a
    participant
    observer in most progressive social movements (I'm 83), and of the USSR
    from the
    standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier books) knowing that country
    longer than any
    other in the profession. Therefore it is also a history of the Cold War.
    Positive reviews
    in The Black Scholar, American Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco
    Chronicle,
    forthcoming in Tikkun, etc.