[sixties-l] very old post

From: Randy (redpoet@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 14:27:28 EST

    I just happened across an answer to an old post of yours (like three years old) concerning shootings at KU. The date was not 1969, but July 1970. Tiger Dowdell, a member of the Black Student Union, was shot in the back of the head and killed by Lawrence Police after leaving Afro House...a few days later following related "disturbances" in our area (then referred to affectionately by the local press as Hippie Haven)...on Oread Street, Nick Rice was killed when police open fire on a large crowd of us...Mert Olds was wounded. The Union Fire was in April of 1970 and was followed by a three day curfew and occupation by the National Guard...

    Randy